• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Connor

GT Alternator Amperage

Connor

Hi everyone,

This is probably an insanely stupid question, but what is the right amperage for the output of a GT? I've fitted a 50 amp one to mine and it seems it can't run the lights and heater without the battery discharge light coming on. Is the alternator too small, or is something else going on? The alternator belt is as tight as I dare currently...

Cheers!

Leslie green

Was the alternator new or just a used replacement ? , 50a should be enough but when the old one went faulty it may have damaged the battery if it was over charging , put a meter across the battery and measure the voltage with lights on and off and engine running it should be around 14v  

Connor

It was a new alternator! I've put a meter across it and with everything on I'm getting about 13.9v. The light is very faint on so its probably okay for the most part...

DamirGTI

With all the el. loads turned ON and especially when turning the heater on full blast it's kinda common for the battery light on the clusters to lit , but not bright just ever so slightly dim barely noticeable .. mostly when you switch the heater blower off the battery light will go off too .

If that's the case on yours , i've seen it on a fair few 205's , nothing to worry about really if the alternator is charging properly ... happens because of the old especially nowadays "degraded" wiring loom/connectors ..

D

EDIT : also , brand new alternators or re-manufactured .. if the brushes are square end shape (often most of the new replacements are) and aren't filed/re-shaped/chamfered so that they make full surface contact against the copper slip rings , it'll take a few minutes after initial start up for the brushes to sort of "bed in" to the slip rings .. during that time you'll measure lower or none charging voltage and battery warning light will lit up bright on the clusters ... after few min. running once the brushes "bed in" , full charging voltage should be present and battery warning light should go off .

Edited by DamirGTI

Leslie green

13.9 volt under load is perfect 

Connor
22 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

With all the el. loads turned ON and especially when turning the heater on full blast it's kinda common for the battery light on the clusters to lit , but not bright just ever so slightly dim barely noticeable .. mostly when you switch the heater blower off the battery light will go off too .

If that's the case on yours , i've seen it on a fair few 205's , nothing to worry about really if the alternator is charging properly ... happens because of the old especially nowadays "degraded" wiring loom/connectors .. 

D

EDIT : also , brand new alternators or re-manufactured .. if the brushes are square end shape (often most of the new replacements are) and aren't filed/re-shaped/chamfered so that they make full surface contact against the copper slip rings , it'll take a few minutes after initial start up for the brushes to sort of "bed in" to the slip rings .. during that time you'll measure lower or none charging voltage and battery warning light will lit up bright on the clusters ... after few min. running once the brushes "bed in" , full charging voltage should be present and battery warning light should go off . 

Ah thats great to hear!

Thanks everyone for your replies, this forum is a lifesaver!