• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

SweetBadger

Gti6 XU10J4RS Dipstick Tube / Guide in Sump - Is it Needed?

SweetBadger

Hi, I'm fitting a baffled sump to my Gti6 engine - it's been designed for an XU10 engine and fits the gti6 sump, but unfortunately fouls on the dipstick guide that bolts to the pump.

The front plate of the baffle hits the tube:

5AB7D9DA-FAC2-487E-93AF-8EDA0BD91AB5.thumb.jpeg.7f993bb77cce46eabdf8ae3d77636ff8.jpeg92BBABFC-3991-4A63-B9E2-DB33DB75438B.thumb.jpeg.9bbee864b17c7e0003e4655518c61ff3.jpeg

From what I can see the tube just guides the dipstick at a slight angle - so if removed it'll probably overread a little.

But apart from that I can't see a problem with just removing it, after all the MI16 / S16 / XU5/9 engines just have the dipstick with no guide.

Anyone have any reasons why removing and just letting the dipstick go straight into the sump is a bad idea? 

Thanks.

SweetBadger

Actually as the engine is angled over at 30 degrees, it's likely to slightly under-read oil level without the guide - crudely knocked up drawing of sump at 30 degrees illustrates this:

image.png.1c2605fe3e1812a4639432976bc3a584.png

Still apart from that, can't see why removing the guide would be a problem.

SweetBadger

Well an unpleasant lunch break spent filling the sump with used oil, jacking it into place (whilst spilling oil everywhere), and then measuring the level on the sump with and without the lower dipstick guide confirms that it underreads (by about 3.5mm) without the tube:

616CC7B5-891A-42F8-97C8-F50A042E52E2.thumb.jpeg.9db5dbda540cee8f8317158f5035cfc6.jpeg

I also think that with the dipstick guided to the centre of the sump gives the benefit of it being less susceptible to the level indicated being affected by incline of the car. Seems like a lot of effort to add the lower guide tube just to achieve this.

But regardless, it's not a biggie and overfilling the sump by that amount shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Spesh

Useful info thanks

Where did you get your baffles from?

SweetBadger

No probs, I should add that for me although oil surge was reduced with the baffle, it was still dropping to 15psi after a heavy braking zone followed by a hairpin - tested at donington Gp. It’s taken an accusump to get it to acceptable ish levels (min 20 psi). running on Dunlop direzzas

I’d try the accusump 1st as a 2qt one is not much more than the sump baffle!

I got the baffle from these guys: https://racingfuel.es/

Spesh

I've not run into problems yet but I'm building a 2.2 at the moment and don't fancy killing it with surge.  Just looking at options as I go along so thats super helpful thankyou :)

wicked
21 hours ago, SweetBadger said:

I got the baffle from these guys: https://racingfuel.es/

Nice kit, but not cheap... (still less expensive as new engine, I know....)