• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Titan

Plastic Sunroof Guide Trim Hitting Paint

Titan

Hi all,

I've had a Gti since 2016 and I've been on here getting information every so often but I've never posted before.

I am currently coming to the end of getting the car repainted.

I called into the bodyshop yesterday and the painter had left the car outside in the sun which as everyone knows,

is quite hot at the minute.

Anyway the plastic sunroof rails had expanded a bit and they had sort of dug into the paint a little bit.

I was just wondering if anyone else has come across this issue before or is there a solution out there?

The painter said it might be an idea to try and raise the plastic trim a little bit but then it will obviously will

be sitting up off the roof more so that might be noticeable.

I know some other cars/manufacturers have a very thin sort of rubber trim (for want of a better word) between 

bodywork and trim which would obviously help preventing something like this happening.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Leslie green

On phase 2 cars the trim is fixed to spacers which are riveted on so it would not be easy to change this ,did he paint the car with the trims still fitted he should have taken them off but they are easily broken . The paint is now a bit  higher than it was so that is maybe more the issue ,I have taken the whole sunroof off but its more hassle than its worth if its not leaking just taking the trims off and masking the sunroof metal frame would be the easiest.

Edited by Leslie green

Titan

Thanks for the reply.

No as far as I'm aware he removed everything before painting the roof.

He definitely removed the sunroof and the runners and all of that anyway.

He is just trying to think of a solution before painting it again so he obviously doesn't want

to just see the same thing happening again if it can be helped at all.

Leslie green

A pic of the issue might help I'm sure he removed the glass but not the frame as its a big job. The trim is probably best left off a month after painting to let the paint harden I'd have thought I plan not touch my paint for about that time to avoid possible damage when fitting clips etc

Edited by Leslie green

Titan

From looking at various pictures he sent me at the time, all of the trim pieces were removed

from the roof when he was painting the car.

There was nothing left on the outer skin of the roof if I can explain it like that and the glass etc was removed as well.

The car was sitting for at least 4/5 weeks if I remember correctly before putting anything back onto the car, he didn't want to rush the job and 

I wasn't putting any pressure on him to do it quickly either.

Plus the weather has been so warm, this would have helped to harden the paint a little bit as well I'd have thought.

I probably should have taken some pictures of the current issue the other day but unfortunately I didn't.

Only for the fact the car was left out in the hot sun, this issue might not have been seen for a good while.

Its sort of looking like the solution will be to try and adjust the plastic trim runners to leave a little gap at either end so if it does heat

up again in the future it will have that little bit of extra room to expand and still not rub into the paint.

Leslie green

What year is it The earlier cars used screws to hold the roof  frame down and I read on a thread about using 2 fibre washers instead of 1 as the trim was sitting a little low. Mine is rivets and you cannot buy the correct spacers for them anymore so a different problem. 

Edited by Leslie green

Titan

Its a 1992 car with power steering but no Cat.

Leslie green

Sunroof frame was held down with 33 rivets and 26 aluminium spacers since 8/1990 which are obsolete now I've been looking for ones a while with no luck.  If it was removed the foam under may be very compressed allowing it to sit lower. 

Edited by Leslie green

Titan

As far as I am aware the painter didn't get any new rivets or spacers, not the ones you mention as far am 

I'm concerned anyway.

So whether he just removed the exterior sunroof parts, which I think he did in order to fully paint the roof 

unhindered or left the parts in situ, I'll have to double check with him.

• Like 1

Leslie green

id say he too the trims of which you have to do to get the glass out  as it covers part of the roof ,, any further become soon becomes a nightmare .

Titan

Thanks again for the replies Leslie.

I will be calling up to see the car again in a few days so I'll see what is what hopefully...

• Like 1