• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gohn

Front Brake Knocking

Gohn

this topic was actually pilfered..

originally raised by Jay (good job !) while rambling sideways from the quaife rack "knocking" topic

thought I'd better put up a separate topic as I've experienced a few clunks from the brakes

I've got the TD Bendix setup mentioned by anthony

they work ok, pad wear is even but get the occasional manouvering noise

the knock is especially when reversing/rolling downhill and dabbing the brakes

looked everywhere suspecting the wishbone bushes or engine mounts or balljoints etc etc but everything was good

so was at a loss until saw the above unrelated topic

luckily I have a set of the Girling GTi calipers that came on the car, but were removed and set aside for the TD Bendix setup

only have used the base model Bendix and TD Bendix setups previously

now considering refurbing the Girling GTi calipers and sticking them on 

will it be worth the effort, are they gunna be much better ?

thanks all

calipers.jpg

Anthony
40 minutes ago, Gohn said:

now considering refurbing the Girling GTi calipers and sticking them on 

will it be worth the effort, are they gunna be much better ?

Yes, far better IMO - just ensure that the sliders are in good condition and greased.

If it's a TD, you're presumably running base model hubs and 1.9 GTi disks, correct?  If so, you might find caliper clearance issues with some wheels, so check that before going too far - I know that the non-Speedline made 1.6 GTi alloys typically foul for example.

Gohn
1 hour ago, Anthony said:

ensure that the sliders are in good condition and greased.

will do

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

you're presumably running base model hubs and 1.9 GTi disks, correct?  If so, you might find caliper clearance issues with some wheels, so check that before going too far - I know that the non-Speedline made 1.6 GTi alloys typically foul for example.

yeah base hubs and 1.9GTi disks

thanks for the warning on caliper clearance

have STDT/Gentry wheels

do I just bolt the calipers onto the hubs, put the wheels back on and push it around to see if there's any fouling/scraping ?

SRDT

You can grind the calipers a bit to clear 1.6 wheels, there is not much material to remove:

calipers-where-to-grind.jpg.76b33bc9352bddf784594c60711b40a2.jpg

Anthony
1 hour ago, Gohn said:

yeah base hubs and 1.9GTi disks

thanks for the warning on caliper clearance

have STDT/Gentry wheels

do I just bolt the calipers onto the hubs, put the wheels back on and push it around to see if there's any fouling/scraping ?

Basically, yes, remembering that the sliders being retracted into the carrier brings the caliper closer to the wheel spokes and is how it'll be with new pads/disks.

If I recall the STDT/Gentry wheels are OK clearance wise, but always worth double checking anyway with a spin of the wheel through at least a full revolution.  It's also worth remembering that just because one wheel fits, doesn't necessarily mean that the other will (e,g, Speedline vs non-Speedline 1.6 GTi alloy, or differing placement of wheel weights on 1.9 GTi wheels when running GTi-6 calipers).

Ozymandis

What pisses me off , every picture You post of old second hand bits, everythings not one big scab of rust like all ours are, dream condition rear axles, actual metal brake calipers, re-useable bolts,  its not fair.

Gohn

yeah its a bit of a blessing for sure

you're all pretty good at coping with the salt, I'd struggle

13 hours ago, Anthony said:

remembering that the sliders being retracted into the carrier brings the caliper closer to the wheel spokes and is how it'll be with new pads/disks.

cheers A, would have missed that

thanks for marking where to grind Baptiste, hopefully the gentry rims wont need though

ready for test fit but may need to work around car use, it's only transport after all

Gohn

updateroo

cleaned up my girling calipers

new pads

new disks (although could still use the old ones if needed)

got the caliper refurb kit today with piston oring, dustcover, and slider seals (didn't get new sliders though)

now I've inserted the new cylinder seal, lubricated it and the piston with brake fluid

but cannot get the piston down into the cylinder past the new oring seal

the book says to just insert twisting as necessary but its not working at all

what am I doing wrong ? is there some trick or technique to slot it in ?

many thanks in advance

Gohn

also, followed anthony's advice above and checked clearance for the Gentry/STDT rims while waiting for the caliper refurb kit

and they have plenty of clearance for the 1.9GTi calipers so good to go on now

managed to get the pistons back in the brake cylinders

(there was a little corrosion on the top section of the cylinder bore above the oring)

it was causing the close fit of the piston to just jam , some 1000grit was enough to unjam it

also took out the bleed nipple to lessen any pressure resistance when putting the piston in

Gohn

I've run the new brakes for about a thousand k's now

and all my brake knocking has disappeared

just quiet solid braking, very good and pleased

thanks all for recommendations and pointers !

• Like 1