• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Drivers window stuck down

Mike

Hi everyone,

My drivers electric window has decided to get stuck fully open.

I have swapped the switches to check if this was at fault but still no movement. When I press the switch (up or down) you can hear the window motor click but no movement at all.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? I am guessing it could be the motor that needs replacing or maybe they just get jammed? I seem to recall it happening once before years ago but can't remember what I did to fix it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks,

Gohn

bummer, lucky you're in drought then

the 205 electric windows are super reliable

the only trouble I've ever had with them is a few buttons which fail after twenty plus years, but you've already ruled that out

have heard that the slider rails can wear out (removing your door card for an inspection might reveal what's going on)

or your motor could be toast (they can burn out if you keep pressing once the window is full up/down so go gently)

an owner with first hand of either or both will know more

stewal

When this happened to me I found the switches for the drivers window were linked and one being faulty stopped the other one working so make sure the switch you are interchanging is good. 

They don't get much use and seem to fail with lack of use.

You could carefully put 12v directly onto the motor to see if it works, if it does it would suggest the switch.

I have had good results spraying electrical contact cleaner inside them (not wd40 unless it's their proper contact cleaner).

Anthony
3 hours ago, stewal said:

When this happened to me I found the switches for the drivers window were linked and one being faulty stopped the other one working so make sure the switch you are interchanging is good. 

That's true of the passenger window, where a fault with either the drivers or passenger side controls for that window will typically stop it working, but the drivers side window only relies on the single drivers side switch.

• Like 1

SRDT

He can still hear the motor so it's probably not an electrical problem.

It's time to take the door panel off to have a look.