• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

lagonda

Best driveshaft for 1.6 CTi?

lagonda

Here we go again! Clutch successfully changed, we drove down to Spain and had a great time driving around the Pyrenees. Noticed oil patches just inside of OSF wheel, and assumed it was transmission oil. I had intended to change its seal, but found I'd only got two NS ones. Started checking out seals, then thought I'd better just check. Absolutely dry. Leak was from the sump gasket, which I also changed before the trip, and hadn't subsequently retightened ... I have now!

Of course I couldn't get away with it that lightly. I exercised the CTi quite well on those mountain roads, and began to hear those sounds of a CV joint wearing. I noticed grease thrown around from the NS CV joint boot. Great, yet another driveshaft to change. This will be the third NS shaft I've replaced since moving over here in 2010.

So ... I'd like to buy one that will last!

These are ones I've seen listed here:

Ridex  €50.24

Point Gear €70.67

ERA Benelux €85.37 (reconditioned)

Stark €49.61

Sorea €64.43

Lauber €72.47 (reconditioned)

General Ricambi €94.85

Metelli €113.17

Bolk €58.90

Cevam €121.90

SNRA €61.90 (reconditioned)

Open Parts €70.90

Friesen €70.90

Observations and alternative suggestions welcome!

Tom Fenton

Never heard of any of them. If it is just a boot, why not just re grease the joint and fit a new boot?

petert

I'd recondition the original before buying new rubbish.

lagonda

Tom, the CV joint is starting to get noisy, so I doubt a new boot would fix that.

Peter, well, that's what I want to avoid! I need to know which ones of those are known to be good in service, and avoid the rubbish!

Another option, as you've stated is to recondition it myself. I did see various CV joint kits for sale. How straighforward is it to replace the outer CV?

A concern is that the present shaft isn't "Original Equipment", I believe it was made by Da Silva. So, will a CV joint kit readily replace that fitted to a

205 CTi shaft manufactured by anyone?

As an example, here's such a kit, made by SKF. Fortunately I still have the two previous shafts, so at least I have a choice as to which to recondition, if I choose that route.

205 CTi shaft manufactured by anyone?18042705_Screenshot2022-08-06at16-05-58JeudejointsarbredetransmissionctroueSKFNdefabricantVKJA5306.thumb.png.f9aa1fa645fd9d04a253e6ea71957264.png

DamirGTI

If yours is 1.6 as standard , you cannot replace/separate outer CV joint on a 1.6 driveshafts only the inner tripod .

All of the listed brands are questionable quality wise and likely all the same part just sold by different brand name . 

From the lot , i only ever heard/used : General Ricambi and Metelli , those two are Italian brands , first one is known for recon parts (driveshafts , steering racks , PAS pumps etc.) but mid or low quality , later is pretty big brand which makes all kinds of spare parts but also middle-to-low level quality .

Try to find good second hand OE Peugeot shafts , or GKN/Loebro/Spidan shafts (GKN was OE driveshaft supplier)  - Loebro/Spidan it's all the same GKN part and best quality you'll get from the aftermarket ones .

However , if i where you .. i'd switch to 1.9 driveshafts (again find OE Peugeot or GKN/Loebro/Spidan) ... 

I had nothing but problems with 1.6 shafts in the past , had to replace a lot of them till i finally gave up .

When switched to 1.9 shafts - no more problems , haven't bought/needed single one or any of the shaft parts since , except the boots but they're "consumable" part anyways .

D

lagonda

Hi Damir,

Hmmm, I was wondering, those names mean little or nothing to me. Thanks for the heads up re not being able to replace the outer CV joint on 1.6 shafts, that rules that possibilty out.

Intrigued by your comments regarding using 1.9 shafts. Sounds like the way to go, I must have changed both shafts on this car at least five times! So ... what is involved, or are they a straight swap for 1.6 (yes mine is completely standard 1.6) shafts?!

DamirGTI

Unfortunately , not a straight swap , but in the long run it's worthwhile investment .

You'll need 1.9 hubs as well .. so 1.9 shafts and 1.9 hubs . Consider taking the lot if the money/offer is right : 1.9 shafts , 1.9 hubs , 1.9 discs and calipers .

Donor , obviously 1.9 GTi 205 for the lot , or 309 GTi/TD for the hubs/discs/calipers all except the shafts (they're longer on a 309) .. Citroen C15 TD could be also source for the hubs/discs/calipers .

D

SRDT

Any 309 with XU/XUD engine will do but you need to keep the CTI calipers and use 1.9/309 GTI discs. The main problem is that the 1.6 hubs on a CTI have more offset than the 1.9 and regular ones.

lagonda

Hmm, bigger job (including actually sourcing the parts) than I want to do right now, I'm having enough trouble finding time to recommission the V12, and I've already spent too much time this year on the CTi!

Checking out French GTi forums, they seem to favour 1.6 shafts from RCA (P130N) and SKF (VKJC4125) ... are these likely to be as good as or better than the GKN/Spidan/Loebro ones mentioned?

DamirGTI

SKF - yes approved , it's always been quality stuff and it is also regular OE part supplier for various different car brands/makes so should be good .

Not sure about the RCA , never heard about them might be known mainly locally in France .

Only thing with the SKF driveshafts , the CV cone (outer on the wheel side towards wheel bearing) tends to be machined incorrectly , but mostly with regards to 1.9 driveshafts not sure about the 1.6 item .

Additionally , tried perhaps local French advert site for some spare/used or even new "old stock" genuine shafts ? :

https://www.leboncoin.fr/

... obviously there's always a lot of spare parts to be found for 205's , handy if you're based in France .

D