• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dimi

Power to clock but no power with key to position II

Dimi

Hi Everyone,

Hope all have a good Summer with your cars!

Mine has the above issue when they key is  turned to position II then the clock loses power and there are no lights or any voltage on the dash. Before this happened, I removed the aircon compressor (japan version GTI 1988 1.9) and wires for the radio, as fas as I can remember)

Hope you can let me know what to try and test.

Regards!

Dimi

Just to clarify the same happens when the key is in position I. The clock goes blank and when I return the key to insert position, the clock digits turn on again 

PhilNW

What is working when the engine is running?

Does anything else stop working? side lights. head lights, interior lights etc? 

Edit, when you say no voltage on the dash do you mean the gauges are not working? 

Edited by PhilNW

Dimi

Thanks for the clarification questions! The engine cannot start as there is no crank too.

Nothing else works except the clock, which works even when the key is not in. Not even emergency stop lights.

Yes, the gauges ate not working , and the warning lights on the dash do not light up.

In position I and II of the ignition key, the clock turns off, but when in off position the clock digits show up again.

PhilNW

If nothing works or engine does not crank is the battery flat?

What is the battery voltage?

Dimi

You are spot on Phil! I took the newly boyght battery from my other car which was sitting for two weeks after a long 600 drive, assuming it is in good shape. Turns out it was so flat down to 9V... 

Now, I took out all the compartment bulbs, so i do not end up with a flat battery ever!

Have a great weekend!

PhilNW

Had something similar on two cars in the past, one was the immobiliser draining the battery over a couple of weeks of no use and the other was the bulb in the radio on the brother in laws Volvo.

Have a look on this guys YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=south+main+auto

He has lots of diagnostic videos in particular parasitic/battery drawdown to find the problem 

Dimi

Appreciate the link, Phil! I totally freaked out for my car and the first thing i thought of was "205gtidrivers!"