• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Don Howarth

205CTI 1.6 1990 in New Zealand

Don Howarth

Hi guys, I have recently had my old 1990 engine (184,000 km run) replaced by a low mileage engine of only 80,000km/50,000 miles) but it was swapped by a non Peugeot service garage who did not know how to refit the plastic support piece that sits on top of cam cover to retain the HT leads in position & keep em tidy. The dizzy cap cables exit facing the firewall as returned to me yet I think the plastic lead retainer piece probably is attached to the front edge of cam cover.

Would someone take a photo of the plastic leads retainer to show clearly its mounting & position of retaining bolts, as I took no photo of engine top before sending car for engine replacement. Car has off road for 2 years, engine was nackered & car was rusty in floor, I am doing a major restoration. It is the 5th 205 GTi/CTI that I have owned and I am 79 years young. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

P1110121.JPG

P1110047.JPG

Tom Fenton

The smaller hole goes on a double stud in the centre of the cam cover. After that it should be obvious where it fits. Although if you offer it up I think you will figure it out.

Reebmit

Great to hear Don, still at it at 79years young! Perfect!

Hopefully attached helps….

012E9DC0-D815-4141-9E49-6F5F02171D98.jpeg

Don Howarth

Thanks very much for that photo Tim, I have fitted the part as indicated. I was given this car for free, it was a real "basket case", had not been run for over 2 years & always kept outside not garaged, never good for a convertible, so quite rusty. Making good progress now. I like sporting Pugs, had a 405 Mi16 Targa NZ tarmac rally car back in the naughties, still have a Citroen C4 VTS as my daily driver. an '02 406 Coupe V6 5 speed and a '70 404 Saloon repowered with a 504 2 litre engine. I was president of Peugeot car club in Auckland, N.Z. in the 90s & a committee member for about 30 years.

Don Howarth

Thanks Tom, I have noted your website & SS parts available, I may need some in future. Cheers

Reebmit

Ah that’s good Don. You certainly have had a sporting pug background, good to see another one being restored. Where better than NZ to enjoy it! 

Leslie green

Fair plan for saving it Don sure you will enjoy it when its back on the road.

Edited by Leslie green

Don Howarth

Hi again from New Zealand, I have reconnected the air  cleaner box, and rubber ducting to the inlet manifold, refitted battery and restarted the engine but car won't idle, it surges between 750-1500 rpm and when warm is still very jerky at constant rpm on the road. My ducting section from air box to air flow meter has split but I have taped it over with race tape but I suspect it may be leaking air into duct. My local garage has already played with the idle & possibly the mixture. What is the most likely cause, what is the remedy(ies)? Will I need to take it to a garage with an exhaust analyser as I suspect the fuel/air mixture is upset.  Thanks in advance for any help 

Leslie green

There is a bolt hole on the side of the gti inlet  manifold to bolt the oil filler too,if this isn't in it won't run right due to the air leak  ,dunno if cti is the same .

309SRiguy

HI Don,

My XU5JA was lean and difficult to tune.  The vacuum advance unit had a ripped diaphragm. Unmeasured air was being sucked into the inlet causing lean mixture.

The pinging when I opened from a closed throttle was cured once the vacuum advance was working and I did the Haynes injection setup. Snatch from closed throttle to easing it open had been quite harsh at times. Now transition is smooth. Timing and a richer mixture from lack of air leaks helped.

I think the surges you mention are from lean mixture.

The mixture tuning process as described by Haynes was more responsive to adjustments after the repair.

Check all inlet connections for leaks. (The obvious ones plus the oil filler bolt and the vac advance)

I gave up chasing the listed idle speed and settled for what sounded smooth. Wear in the control system has idle at 1200rpm if the pedal is eased off gently. If lifting off the pedal is sudden the revs will settle back past there to sit at about 1000rpm.  If it is sitting at a faster idle a tap of the pedal will drop idle speed.

Now when the engine is  well-warmed the idle and low speed pickup give stability and torque that I would not have thought possible previously. Still not perfect, but it is a 35 year old Bosch LE2. 

It might be a good idea to check the carbon track inside the AFM. It can give incorrect values to the ECU if the carbon has worn through. Tweaks to the copper arm can locate the sweep to an undamaged area. There are a few articles around on this. Other makes such as Rover and Porsche ran LE2 so there is a lot of knowledge out there.

If the top has not been off the AFM the flap tension should be standard. The tension can be altered and often is , in an attempt to alter the mixture. Testing has me believing that moving the spring one notch either way results in too rich or too lean. If all other settings are correct and standard and you are in the sea level range the original spring setting will be best.

Wishing you all the best with your restoration,

Bryan

Don Howarth

Thanks very much for that advice Bryan, I will work my way through your suggestions. Do you still have a 205 CTi ? I think the Cabrio & the GTi are both wonderful cars. I once had a later model GTi 1.9, a 1994 Classic, No.7 of 30 limited edition cars Mayerling Green metallic paint with all the options including full black leather upholstery. 30 came to NZ and 30 went to Australia. Mine went to Adelaide S.A. then came to NZ when the lady owner came to Auckland to manage a Hotel in Parnell. The car was traded to Continenta;l Car Services to the Alfa franchise,  I worked for the Volkswagen & Suzuki franchises & many staff knew I drove a red '87 205 CTi to work daily, so asked me if I was interested. I certainly was, so bought it. Kept it for a few years, a nice car but I wanted a 406 Coupe, so sold it for a good profit and bought an '02 Coupe V6 5 speed, which I have had ever since. Am only the 2nd owner & just turned 105,000km in unmarked condition(not my daily driver). Cheers

P1100869.JPG

P1100869.JPG