• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atreides

MGF EPAS - Bit of help needed...

Atreides

I've just bought an MGF EPAS system which I was informed by the seller had been removed from a 205 rally car i.e. ready to bolt on, so to speak. However, the guy doesn't have the universal joint to connect it to the lower column. I read that making a hybrid UJ might be a solution, but how involved is this?

As the MGF shaft is splined, I was thinking I might be able to buy a 'universal' splined UJ to connect it up - has anyone done this? Does anybody know how many splines a square drive non-PAS lower column has (on the upper end, not the rack-end)?

I'd love to hear from anybody who already has an MGF EPAS fitted...searching on here revealed a few posts where people mentioned it, but none with any actual experience of it.

Wallby

Bugger, I was going to make an offer on this today only to find it had sold!

Keep us updated on on you get on with it and how much has to be modified on the MG parts as its something I'm looking into.

Atreides

Yeah, it was that one lol! 

It looks like a relatively straight forward install, and (again, anecdotally) its apparently a better fit in a 205 than the Corsa setup, in addition to allegedly giving more feedback...

pug_ham
6 hours ago, Atreides said:

It looks like a relatively straight forward install, and (again, anecdotally) its apparently a better fit in a 205 than the Corsa setup, in addition to allegedly giving more feedback...

Can't help with the column issue but I understand these are a better choice because they are speed sensitive, as long as you put a vss signal into the system.

Can't you contact the seller incase they've left the all important piece on the car it came from or could tell you how they did it?

g

Atreides

I already asked him those very questions unfortunately, Graham...the car it came from was broken up and is now long gone I'm told, and he cant recall exactly how it was connected to the lower column. I'm guessing it was a custom UJ, just a shame he didn't save that as well :( 

pug_ham

Isn't that typical.

Looking at the pictures I've found, you'll be looking at a custom lower column between the mgf & 205.

1368555459_mgfepas.thumb.jpg.89761a0a3c6adc4f3d85ed45319693af.jpg

Shouldn't be too bad if you're handy with a welder.

What year is it MGF from, did you get the ecu too?

g

Atreides

It should be arriving on Friday, so I'll know more then. However, these pictures show what it comes with. Looks like its on a rheostat. 

Notice the lower shaft ends in a spline...looks like ill have to try and match up a UJ from somewhere to link up to the 205 lower column...

EPAS.jpg

EPAS2.jpg

Atreides

Quick update. It arrived today, and it came with the correct UJ! It's a hybrid joint, and has been spot welded to re-seat the pin. 

The loom looks 'ready to go' as well, with just live, neg and switched live to wire up (no VSS, but I'll see how it works first with just the rheostat).

Presuming it all works, I'm well chuffed. I'll keep this updated once fitted for any future searches on the subject...