• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
petert

Parry's Supercharged Build

petert

It's been a while, but we finally got Parry's 205 on the dyno over the weekend. Adrian Wuillemin did the majority of the design and fabrication of the installation, whilst I built the engine.  It's a rebuild of his previous N/A XU10J4 engine which made a handy184HP at the wheels. ie dry sumped, big valves and cams. This time compression ratio was lowered to 8.2:1 to suit the high boost kit. We finished at 180kW (241hp) at the wheels, with a nice safe tune. I think that's around 320hp flywheel. That was approx. 10psi at 7500rpm. Once he's done some laps and ironed out all the bugs, we'll smooth out the lumps and wind it up a bit further. It's amazing how sensitive it is to small changes in ignition timing. It's surprising how difficult it is to squeeze all the s/c parts into a 205. Adrian did a fantastic job of integrating all the bits and upgrading to an 8PK belt to avoid belt slip. The next plan is to upgrade the old Haltech E6X to a Motec M130, so he can run E85 and use a flex fuel sensor. We'll also be able to use a knock sensor and dial in the ignition more accurately. The E6X is limited to 1 degree increments on ignition maps.

https://www.facebook.com/racingpeugeotaustralia/videos/764980148201495

Parry SC 180kW.pdf

Edited by petert

joris_andriesse

Nice result. Do you have a dyno graph?

petert
2 minutes ago, joris_andriesse said:

Nice result. Do you have a dyno graph?

Link to pdf above?

joris_andriesse

Oops, sorry. Did only see/check the FB link. Sweet graph

I would expect the torque to be a bit higher, or is supercharged not to be compared with turbo for that?

wicked

Nice result! Did you keep the same cams? Torque is peaking late, so must be agressive cams....

Does Parry need to race it different class now because of the supercharger?

petert

Yes, the same cams as before. I think the inlet is 238º @ 0.050", so it should peak around 8000. The power curve should be more linear with the supercharger. The torque is going to come in later compared to a turbo, as there isn't as much boost down low.

He's now >2L class.

wicked

At which rpm does it hit the 10psi then? With 8000 rpm in mind, you probably cannot have a very small pulley on the supercharger? 

petert

I think around 7000. I can’t datalog it with the current ecu. It’s probably more like 11 psi at 7500.  I actually thought it would be more, with a theoretical maximum of approx 15psi at 8000, which is governed by the maximum supercharger RPM (determined by pulley sizes). I guess the boost is knocked around by various design flaws and limitations of the whole inlet tract. Fingers crossed the BE3 box doesn’t mind.

joris_andriesse

240nm shouldn't be a problem for a BE3, I would think.

petert
42 minutes ago, joris_andriesse said:

240nm shouldn't be a problem for a BE3, I would think.

Yes, but dyno figures measured at the wheels are rubbery at best (pardon the pun). We'll just have to wait and see what breaks first. The car has the upgraded fat Satchell driveshafts and early BE1 gear set.

Edited by petert
  • Like 1

stef205

Similar boost levels to mine, but mine makes peak boost at 2k with a eaton 10.4:1 cr  309whp. Only down side to the rotrex it has characteristics to a turbo.  Interesting read 

petert

It would have been nice to have a bit more compression, especially with E85. I had to work with the pistons he'd already bought. However, at least we'll be able to wind on the ignition advance.

petert

We got the bad girl onto the track over weekend. It was wet and suffice to say, it wheel spinned easily in 3rd. It excelled in all areas however and laid down plenty of laps.

image.png.20a234e22f4345f841be059849292644.png

• Like 1