• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Brian Barkley

Fast idle

Brian Barkley

My 1990 NZ new 205GTI has developed a fast idle - like 1200/1500 revs. I'm told the idle relief valve may need replacing, but they are unavailable. Can anyone suggest a solution, or maybe an alternative. Engine Model XU9JA

Engine # CW2P002274

VIN VF320CD 6223615908

Any help will be much appreciated, many thanks.

Brian Barkley                                                    

dcc

I'd be included to check for air leaks first

Thijs_Rallye

As above, check for air leaks first. And don't forget to include the oil breather hoses in that search ;).

Tom Fenton

Trace the hoses from the inlet manifold to the idle valve. When it is idling fast clamp that hose closed using grips or pliers or whatever. If the revs drop down, it is the idle valve that is the issue. If the revs don't drop, its an air leak somewhere else.

Brian Barkley

Thanks guys, I'll follow through - much appreciated. Brian

Richie-Van-GTi

Fastest way is to spray brake cleaner at the hoses whilst it idles, soon shows up an air leak