• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Steve205

Strange noise when turning left only..

Steve205

Evening all. I am stumped. So is my mechanic. 

My 1989 phase 1.5 205 gti 1.6 non power steering model is making a strange whirring (best description I have) noise in drivers front hub area while turning left. Faster you turn,the more amplified the sound. It is tracking straight and through on straight stretches. It makes no sound only when turning left. When you press in the clutch and coast, there is absolutely no sound at any speed. A new wheel bearing was put in back in February.  Noise had been there before this was done. Did not solve issue. New drive shaft was also fitted at same time. 

My mechanic has looked at it since  and says nothing looks out of ordinary to him.

I am due to have new shock absorbers put in soon and was hoping to solve this issue at same time...

Does anyone have any experience/idea as to the cause of this problem. All advice gratefully accepted. 

Thank you.  

Stephen 

PhilNW

Is the noise there only when running on the road, what happens if you put it on stands with no weight on the wheel?

Steve205

Do not know answer to that. Have only noticed it on road. Left turn only produces noise. But when clutch engaged the noise is no longer audible. Very strange. 

Have not had it on stands to check. 

Stephen. 

PhilNW

Try it on jacks may be easier to locate any sounds.

"Faster you turn,the more amplified the sound",

do you mean the more you turn the lock the sound increases, or the faster the speed the more the sound increases?

Steve205

The faster speed while turning left seems to amplify the noise. The tighter the turn also amplifies it. More forces being put on hub.

The best description of noise I can come up with is ; it is similar to noise of any empty steel oil drum being rolled on gravel.  That hollow noise. 

As stated it has already gotten a new offside drive shaft and wheel bearing,  but neither has resolved sound. 

If you push in clutch while turning it completes the corner in utter silence. Very strange.

Stephen 

welshpug

check the left hub!

PhilNW

Why did you think it was the offside that was the problem?

Steve205

The offside wheel bearing was previously making noise and in need of replacement as indicated in NCT (MOT).  Drive shaft also needed doing. Noise was there before these were done and is still there now.

Mechanic has looked at it also and says all things line up as they should. 

When driving around all seems perfectly fine until you make a left.

Assumed it is offside problem Phil as noise is only coming from that side. 

Will check left hub also. Thanks welshpug. 

Stephen 

Tom Fenton

Check engine to gearbox bolts are all present and tight. Wouldn’t be the first one with the gearbox hanging off and the tin inspection plate rubbing on the flywheel.

Steve205

Thanks for all advice. Will have her up on a ramp next weekend coming.  Will check all areas suggested.

Thanks again. 

Stephen