• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Wasted spark igniter

Richie-Van-GTi

Does anyone know if the generic used wasted spark coil from a lot of pugs and citroens etc has its own igniter?

I have an adaptronic ECU but it specifically states the coil must have its own igniter?

welshpug

no,  earlier ecu's like mp3.1 used an amplifier, later ones dont but have the same coil.

Richie-Van-GTi
23 hours ago, welshpug said:

no,  earlier ecu's like mp3.1 used an amplifier, later ones dont but have the same coil.

Thanks for that, makes sense.

Will have a look for a wiring diagram for the mp3.1 set up. Guess its the same amp as the gti uses?

Edit: found the answer, No, single channel in GTi.

Ordered a VAG style wasted spark coil with built on igniter

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

welshpug

yeah its a different amplifier, same 7 pin plug but 2 channel

petert

XU10J4 has two dual channel ignitors. As said, they look identical to single channel. Let me know if you need a wiring diagram.

Richie-Van-GTi
On 1/30/2022 at 11:45 AM, petert said:

XU10J4 has two dual channel ignitors. As said, they look identical to single channel. Let me know if you need a wiring diagram.

Hi Peter, can you send me that wiring diagram please, suspect i may need to swap back to the original coil and use ign amp so i can get my tacho working again

welshpug

number of oem applications here that use them, first one in the thread, the S16, uses two.

Richie-Van-GTi
7 hours ago, welshpug said:

number of oem applications here that use them, first one in the thread, the S16, uses two.

Excellent, thanks

Richie-Van-GTi

Ordered an S16 ignition amp.

Just looking at that diagram on autodata, not clear how i would wire that to run a wasted spark coil on a different ECU. I assumed there would be power to the amp but seems not, also both pins connected to the ecu are labelled as 1&4 or 2&3 in pin out but the diagram shows them as 1&3 2&4.  Also the 4 wires labelled as triggers on the pin out suggests to me the ecu is igniting sequentially?

Just need to confirm its the right amp to run a wasted spark? I dont need 2?

petert

Here is the factory diagram. Hopefully identical to what Welshpug posted.

Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 7.54.52 pm.png

welshpug

yeah exactly the same, S16 does run sequential as far as I know, they do have cam sensor and individual injector wiring.

you'll only need one amplifier if you want to run wasted spark,  the coil is basically two separate circuits in one module, hence  the paired HT lead outputs.

petert
2 hours ago, Richie-Van-GTi said:

I assumed there would be power to the amp but seems not, also both pins connected to the ecu are labelled as 1&4 or 2&3 in pin out but the diagram shows them as 1&3 2&4.  Also the 4 wires labelled as triggers on the pin out suggests to me the ecu is igniting sequentially?

Yes, power is supplied to each coil and the ignition module grounds the coil.

S16 and 2L Mi16 are indeed full sequential fuel and direct fire ignition.

I concur with Welshpug, you only need one module to run wasted spark. The ignition modules aren't intelligent however, thus you'll need to optimise the dwell in your ecu settings for the coil packs being used. You'd probably start at 3ms and use an oscilloscope to optimise the saturation time.

The S16 and Mi16 coils are notorious for being unreliable. They're also reasonably unique to that engine, thus demand a high price.

SRDT

The XU10J4 diagram can be confusing if you don't want to run sequential. Here is the XU10J2TE diagram, it's also a MP3.2 ECU but with wasted spark:

faisceauTCT_1.gif

As for XU10J4 coils you can also find them on some Maserati...

• Like 1

welshpug

a friends 993 them too.

Richie-Van-GTi

Ok, bought a new dual channel ignition amp, listed as fitting all sorts including s16.

Do they all need to be on a plate as a heat sink or is that just the alloy body gti ones?

DamirGTI

Absolutely yes , need to mount it on the alu. plate with some heat sink paste/jelly in between (smear some on the back side of the module) , otherwise it'll overheat and burn out .

D

• Thanks 1

Richie-Van-GTi

Need to drag this back up.

I've finally got round to doing this.

Brand new bosch amplifier

This morning car running fine on the old set up. Swapped the wiring to the above diagrams, confirmed all wires have continuity wtc but got no spark on 1&4.

Its a known good coil, ecu is still sending the same wasted spark signal.

Could it be ignition amp failure, are any of them wired different?

I have

Amp pin 1 to coil pin 1

Amp pin 2 to ecu trigger for 1&4

Amp pin 4 to earth

Amp pin 6 to coil pin 2

Amp pin 7 to ecu trigger for 2&3

Then

Coil pin 3 to live

Coil pin 4 to earth via suppressor 

Richie-Van-GTi

Update, swapped wires around on the amp but the fault stayed on the same cylinders, probed the wires from ecu and both channels behave identical when cranking. Probed wires to the coil and same so looks like the known good coil has somehow packed up whilst being in the shelf in the dry for a few months