• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Quags

Tapping/Knocking 8v, Dual Carbs, uprated Cam

Quags

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can advise on what this noise(s) could be? I'm hoping it's not something serious :blink:

The engine is a Skip Brown 1.6-.19 conversion on a fast road cam, dual dellorto 45 carbs so I don't expect it to purr, but this knocking/tapping sounds bizzare.  With it being the OHC type, i'm unsure how you go about adjusting the valves on these, is it just replacement shims?

TIA

PhilNW

Sounds like something loose/rattling to me, heat shield maybe

Try a spanner check for anything loose.

28hodge

try and isolate it with a screwdriver to your ear, least then you can track it down and see if its an auxiliary part or something more serious.

I've had similar and really didn't like the noise, but when I put a screwdriver to my ear with the other end on the block/cam cover it sounds fine, turned out once to be a dizzy on a classic mini and with the pug its the injectors that are making all the racket.

welshpug

I'd be whipping the sump off and looking at the big ends.

PhilNW

Another thought - try holding the engine at various RPMs to see if happens at a certain RPM - might help to track it down 

Richie-Van-GTi

Sounds like little end rattle to me. I would definatley be dumping the oil to check for shiny bits then whipping the sump off to have a poke around.