• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stumpyjag

306 dturbo

stumpyjag

Hi all. Can any one help me with my 306 dturbo which suddenly won’t start and I’m not that familiar with diesels. I have checked for power to glow plugs and fuel through the fuel filter and I can’t see any leaks on the injectors. I have cracked one of the fuel pipes on top of the injector and their doesn’t seem to be any fuel whilst cranking. Am I looking at the pump? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

stumpyjag

Going to check stop valve next any other ideas welcome

Gohn

could you describe symptoms and if the engine has anything changed on it or is it standard XUD9TD

assuming its just konked out, it is most likely fuel feed

stop solenoid less likely

to check your fuel feed, set up a jerry can with diesel

line in to your fuel feed banjo, line out from the fuel return banjo

this is just bypassing your whole fuel feed system to check that your inj pump is ok

bleed it by getting fuel to your in banjo

crack each injector union nut and crank the battery until you get diesel to each union

once the diesel starts spotting out, tighten up each union

once you have at least three like that, tighten the last one also and crank the ignition

short burst, about 3 seconds

if you're unsure reply

good luck

gotta go, back shortly though

stumpyjag

Hi standard engine not messed with at all. Was absolutely fine until trying to start this morning. Got fuel upto and through the filter but not out to injectors. That’s why I thought stop solenoid?

stumpyjag

Really want to check stop solenoid but it’s under a steel cover. I have removed every bolt I can see and can’t get it off. Anyone know what I’m missing. Thanks. 

Gohn

that sounds fair guess

could also be the filter (what a coincidence, mines just packed it in and brought my engine to a halt also)

if you've got a spare stop solenoid it is reasonably easy to check

install new one 

loosen in banjo (M17 socket) and hand prime with the bulb til you get diesel without too much air spluttering out

then tighten back up banjo, connect wires to stop solenoid

crack union injector nuts and crank ignition

when diesel is coming thru union nuts ok tighten and crank ignition

still suspect the fuel feed is your culprit

see how you go anyway

Gohn

that cover is a part of a security type setup I think

bracket goes around the injection pump ?

the 306's got them,

hooks up to your ignition etc

never worked on one of those, sorry

pug_ham

The stop solenoid is controlled from the glow plug relay iirc, can you get access to the wire attached to it to check for 12v with the ignition on?

You could try putting 12v directly to the solenoid to see if it changes but they can fail & luckily aren't that expensive to replace, or at least weren't when i last ran an XUD.

As Andy says, the fuel filter on these is tiny & needs changing on every service iirc & they can become blocked to the point where the engine won't run.

g

stumpyjag

Just checked and I’ve got 12v going to the connector for the stop solenoid but just can’t get the steel cover off. 

stumpyjag

Just looked on other forums and they seem to recommend angle grinding the cover off. Anyone else had to do this?  Is there any other way of checking the stop solenoid before I resort to that? Thanks. 

Gohn

I saw a video of a guy trying to remove one of those once and it took him about two days

it looked messy

you could do a quick check as per graham

then recommend check fuel feed

filter or hoses somewhere in there'll be the problem

stumpyjag

I have definitely got fuel through the filter and into the pump via the bleed screw. If I pump the hand pump but nothing out to the injectors. Everything worked fine until this morning when it wouldn’t start. Does that eliminate fuel pipes and filter?Thanks for your help. 

SRDT

If the stop solenoid is hard to remove then it must be the coded one. If it was easy you could steal the car in a few minutes by fitting the older regular solenoid.

Gohn
12 hours ago, stumpyjag said:

Does that eliminate fuel pipes and filter?

no, not really

its not a total blockage or good

The injection pump is at the end of a line of hoses, filters, joins etc

It needs good clean diesel flow all the way thru

Almost always, the object is to ensure your fuel feed is sealed, the pump will do the rest

the pump is pulling diesel thru lines all the way from the tank

if there's a leak, it will pull air into the lines instead, fouling the diesel flow

You can get a total blockage like if the Stop Slnd ceases working

but usually its just leaks, allowing air into the fuel feed thru one or more leak points

The pump stuggles on for a bit but as it gets more and more air in, the air getting into the fuel feed stops the pump

so you may still be able to primer bulb diesel thru to your IN banjo, but its likely that there's air in the lines being pushed thru also,

but you cant see thru your hoses

also, diesel to the IN banjo does not mean the injection pump is primed (full of diesel, no air)

the high pressure chamber/area of the pump will have air in it

it will self prime once it has access to clean AIR FREE diesel

pushing out the air thru the injector unions you have cracked, once you crank the ignition

a few sections of clear hose 8mm can isolate where the bubbles are coming in

few days ago, my OE filter unit packed it in (its old, but they are known for it)

car conks out

towed home

set up full jerry can of diesel at the front of car

2 lengths of 1.5m clear hose (only good for using briefly, as its not fuel rated)

cut one hose in half and insert a primer bulb. this is feed IN line

attach to IN banjo, put other end in diesel can, crack in banjo nut, pump diesel up to banjo, retighten nut when the diesel has chased all the air out of hose

attach other clear hose to return banjo and stick other end of hose in diesel can

crack injector union nuts

crank ignition

as pump self primes, then pushes deisel to each injector it expels air, each injector starts spitting diesel, retighten union nuts until all 4 tight

crank ignition again, engine fires

any pics of the security code rig thats preventing your new stop slnd test ?

Tom Fenton

Cut the steel cover off, undo the 4 wire stop solenoid and bin it, fit a 1 wire type, then rig up an ignition live to it.

stumpyjag

Thanks for the reply. Just tried putting fuel straight to the pump as you explained and I can get nothing out of the pump. Does this only leave me with stop solenoid?  Thanks 

stumpyjag

Big thanks to everyone for the advice. Cut out armour and removed solenoid. Seemed to be dead. Removed plunger and put back in. Bled system and she fired up. Off to motorfactors to buy single wire version. Thanks again.