• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Connor

Weak Brakes on GT

Connor

Hi Everyone,

I'm just looking for some advice on what would be a relatively easy way to improve the brakes on my GT. It was put into a garage and had braided hoses and new discs, pads and shoes fitted which improved things somewhat but they are still not great. The pedal travel in particular is very very long and in an emergency situation you would have to put your foot through the floor to make it stop quickly. Would a bigger master cylinder help shorten the travel? If so, what would be a good option to go for?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Connor

Tom Fenton

Pedal travel shouldn’t be that long if everything is right. I would check the shoes are fully adjusted out to the drums.

I had a Roland Garros I did some work on, the brakes were shocking, after finding a seized front caliper and 2 seized wheels cylinders and replacing the same the brakes were better but still

not great. When bleeding and pumping the pedal the feel through the pedal was nasty and notchy, it turned out the servo was knackered. Struggled with the smaller servo for a non GTI car so ended up fitting a GTI servo. All the issues went away and the brakes were then keen as mustard.

petert

“Keen as mustard” now there’s a saying you don’t hear very much any more. I bet most on here wouldn’t know of its origin either!

• Haha 1

Gohn
12 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

Struggled with the smaller servo for a non GTI car so ended up fitting a GTI servo. All the issues went away and the brakes were then keen as mustard.

haven't heard of a brake servo before, is that the brake booster ?

the GT brakes must be spec'd like the Si ones over here - just undergunned

which GTi bits of the servo did you replace Tom? the whole unit with the master cylinder too ?

Connor
On 1/9/2022 at 11:22 PM, Tom Fenton said:

Pedal travel shouldn’t be that long if everything is right. I would check the shoes are fully adjusted out to the drums.

I had a Roland Garros I did some work on, the brakes were shocking, after finding a seized front caliper and 2 seized wheels cylinders and replacing the same the brakes were better but still

not great. When bleeding and pumping the pedal the feel through the pedal was nasty and notchy, it turned out the servo was knackered. Struggled with the smaller servo for a non GTI car so ended up fitting a GTI servo. All the issues went away and the brakes were then keen as mustard.

Ah thanks for this! Are GTI servo and master cylinders a straight swap? Or would any modification be needed?

Thanks