• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ashley_pug_gen

TU3 / MA gear linkage problems

ashley_pug_gen

Hi All,

First post here, I have a 97 205 generation, 1.4 TU3 engine. Recently purchased and slowly going through it to make it drive well. Big issue is the gear shifting, its very notchy, lumpy, sometimes hard to get in gear. reverse is especially fun..

I had a look as best I could at the linkage on the subframe, and it looks a bit goofy. The L bracket on the left has a bolt and washer but I expected some sort of bush or spring. nothing. bolt was very loose which i have tightened a bit and loctited as well but it keeps backing out.

Attached a photo for reference. I searched everywhere for some sort of exploded diagram of the parts in the linkage but could only find the gti bits (I think). Could anyone confirm what bits should be there and in what order?

Ideally i would just replace it all but not having a lot of luck with finding parts for this either. Any suggestions? I'm in Europe (NL).

Thanks for any help

Ashley

pug-L-bracket.jpg

DamirGTI

There's various different teflon plastic bushes in the gear linkage mechanism :

http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/205F/2/24A22A.HTM

... under that L bracket must be two bushes around which the bracket pivots on the subframe , OE bushes where teflon plastic item but if you have machinist near ask him to make bronze bushes . OE bushes are good , but cannot be found aftermarket anymore for quite a while only directly from Peugeot/Citroen .

Also that bolt on top of the bracket is clearly non original .. If i where you , id ask machinist to make both the bolt and the bushes , then you'll need just a "springy washer" but that can be also made from ordinary flat washer (twist/bend it , then heat up and cool down in oil)  .

Take a look under the gear leaver next to the big L bracket , underneath the subframe goes the nut and stud with ball on top which holds that leaver securely so that it doesn't flop around .. nut which holds the stud often gets loose (or even missing) , bit of a thread lock and tight up and it'll be fine .

Despite and when rectified all the above , If gear selecting is still hard and "crunchy" whilst driving , then need to adjust the clutch cable (and the gear links too are often length adjustable type) .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

ashley_pug_gen

Hi Darin,

Thanks so much for the detailed info, the miamistu link has been super helpful. I have ordered some after market bits and will look in to a local machinist as you suggest for the L bracket brass bushing.

Ashley

ashley_pug_gen

oops sorry got your name wrong, thanks Damir

Tom Fenton

That doesn't look like the correct bolt in the bell crank pivot to me. The correct one is a shouldered bolt that allows the bell crank to pivot freely without pinching it.