• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

BoxGTi

Surprisingly good steering wheel 're-furb'

BoxGTi

After getting the rest of the car looking good, I decided to do something about the steering wheel which was looking quite tired. So I rang around and got quoted up to $1200 (aussie)  to get the leather re done in the original stitch. Holy sh#t! I did not expect that nor did I have the budget! I then searched for alternatives and found what I reckon is a great fix until I either get a brand new wheel or pay to get this one refurbed. Simply a leather cover from ebay which I sewed on myself. Plus I do try to do as much work on the car myself and love fixing stuff so that's a bonus too...

Original condition wheel and then after the 'fix'...

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

a1.jpg

b1.jpg

c1.jpg

Steve205

Looks very well. 1200 dollars seems ridiculous for a wheel refurb...

Must be a very large wheel! 

Nice alternative though.

Stephen 

• Thanks 1

BoxGTi

Haha. Cheers Stephen. Yeah ridiculous isn't the word that I used when I was told that's for sure. If I was to do it again I would have used a blind stitch so it looks more like the factory stitch but in reality its only temporary. For around 20 bucks I couldn't be happier.

duurtlang

I did the same for my 406. Also with an eBay kit for roughly €25 or so. Was shipped from the UK. Easy enough to stitch yourself. Looks far from professional, but much better than a generic cover. I've driven it a few thousand km since, and no signs of wear yet.