• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Steve K

**WHEEL WOBBLE**

Steve K

I've had my 1.6 pepper pots balanced twice now and I still have a horrid vibration/wobble at 55mph upwards from the front and back wheels .... I have driven from Portsmouth to Pulborough today and it has driven me mad! Anyone have any ideas? Or know what donor cheap steel wheels I can use to make sure its def. the wheels. (Like 306 etc).

mmt

Sounds like the tires (tire Walls) are ready to be replaced. How Old are the tires? 

PhilNW

How did you establish the rear wheels are out of balance? The front i guess you can feel it through the steering wheel

Have you tried swapping the wheels around, side to side, front to back?

What size balance weights on on each wheel?

When did the wobble start? had you had some work done on the car?

Have you locking wheel nuts on the car? They can cause out of balance even though the wheels are balanced off the car

Edited by PhilNW

Steve K

Hi all, the person I bought the car off had the wheels refurbished and then did re balance the wheels after. I got a good friend to do them and there was still a wobble mainly from the front. I cleaned the wheels up inside as they were covered in mud and got them re balanced again. This time I moved the front wheels to the back and still wobble all round. The tyres are nearly new so I don't feel it's them. My thought process is that if I can get some cheap steels with tyres from another car I can eliminate if it's the wheels or not...

Steve K

Should say did not re balance the wheels after the refurbs.

PhilNW

How do sense the wobble at the back?

Steve K

I can feel it through my seat and it can be seen slightly at high speeds.

PhilNW
10 minutes ago, Steve K said:

it can be seen slightly at high speeds.

Slightly worrying if you can SEE IT at high speeds

Rather than spend good money on a set of new wheels 

- You could try making up a simple reference pointer to place up against each wheel and tyre and spin the wheels on the car to check for run out

- Try a different tyre balancer and get them to check the roundness/distortion of the wheel and/or tyre with and without wheel weights on the car.

I have known it for wheel wobble to be caused by a failing CV joint. Due you feel any tightness when spinning a front wheel? 

Steve K

No tightness at all. They are all free. Think I might try another balancer and see how we go. Thank you for your help.

welshpug

if they have been painted/powdercoated check the mating face, they should be bare metal and spotless

Tom Fenton

Hard to find somewhere to balance these properly. They require an adaptor for the centreless wheels and the balancer then should be calibrated with the adaptor fitted before balancing your wheels. This is an easy enough procedure done with a bare wheel and a known extra weight yet they don’t do it when fitting the adaptor usually.

Steve K

Hi all, the wobble is all gone now. Got a great garage to do them that had the adapters and she drives like a dream now! No wobble at all!