• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JTaylor

Options to strengthen gearbox/ gear change?

JTaylor

Evening all,

I have (finally) managed to get my 1.6 205 back on the road after a lot of effort and time spent to make it roadworthy. 

My first thought since driving it is that the gear change is fine, but im conscious of going through the gears too harshly and disrupting something? Is there something i can do the help strengthen the gear change and limit some of the play, or without aboslutley ragging it around can it take a bit more stick than what i think it can?

pug_ham

Check that the balljoint on the subframe is tight, the 13mm nut holding it down is often the biggest culprit in making the gear change feel loose & vague.

Other than upgrading the rods to those from @Miles at Pugracing, the only other option is to fit a Satchshift.

g

SRDT

If you have old/cheap engine mounts going for new and stiffer ones can also help.

JTaylor

Thanks for the swift replies.

I'll take a look at the upgraded rods and i would be very surprised if the engine mounts have ever been changed so ill check them out at the weekend and see what condition they are in.