• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davemar

Xu9j4 head bolt head size

davemar

I'm just putting my Mi16 1.9 engine back together after taking it apart, and am just putting the head on. I had a pack of 'new' unopened head bolts in my stash of bits which have been there for years, so I was pleased to find these and not have to fork out for a set.  But when I tried to insert these bolts I wasn't having any luck in getting them down the holes. I realised that the flanges on the head of the bolts were getting jammed in the holes in the head. So I decided the measure the diameter of the flanges on these 'new' bolts and the old ones I had. The 'new' ones were 22.5mm, and the old ones 21.5mm. So this extra 1mm made them too big!

The package stated they were for the XU range of engines, and they were all the correct length and thread and everything. Does seem very odd though. Maybe they were made for the 8v engines and never checked for fitment on the 16v engines?

Obviously I'm going to have a buy a new set of bolts, but want to avoid get another badly fitting set!

welshpug

what is the part number on the Box?

welshpug

0204 57 is the oem part number for the headbolts, M11x1.50-175, the same for both 8v and alloy 16v, no dimensions given for the heads, though the spacer underneath is specified as 24mm for the 8v, and 22mm for the 16v.

• Like 1

davemar

They appear to stock the actual bolts I bought here (made by BGA): https://www.autodoc.co.uk/bga/10767270

I bought them years ago, possibly the old-fashioned way by going into a shop (remember those?).

petert

I have the same issue when I use XU9D head bolts on XU10J4 engines. If you're sure they're M11x1.5 and the length is correct, put them in a lathe and turn a bit off the heads.

davemar

In the end I bought another brand which fitted perfectly.