• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi

Best front tyresx2 for 309Sri - same as 205 1.6GTi ?

Please can anyone

1. recommend best replacement tyres most probably two front ones for 

Peugeot 309 1.6 SRi 

existing tyre spec:-  175 R14 65 82 H 

existing make details:- Continental Eco contact 3 

existing one side has gone flat as picture on the front. I will do separate posting on this else this will be too long. 

this one was matching another one the same which is still pumped up but I can't match two other tyres for the 

front axle so guess it is best to replace the two at the front together (?) 

2. Does anyone know anywhere good to get them fitted in NW london Harrow area? about 20 mins drive from Wembley stadium. 

3. I think the 205 GTi 1.6 has 185 R14 .......- and the 205 1.9 GTi is 195 R15 .......

I noticed that there was a posting by "Peter"** I think for the 1.9 GTI tyres as the best being Michelin pilot 3

or michelin pilot sport 3 but these don't seem to appear in the 309 sri wheel size from what I can find online? 

4. I have the same pepperpot alloy wheels as the 205 gti so it must be that the slightly larger 185 tyres can be 

safely fitted to these. I would need to change the rears also I guess to do this. 

** I will add the exact link to the original posting I mean asap. I just need to search the site again quickly. 

any advice greatly appreciated 

thanks 

20211001_161353[1].jpg

SRDT

I had the same wheels and tyres on my 309 SRDturbo before switching to 185/60R14.

With the "1.6" wheel offset the inside of a 185mm wide tyre can lightly rub on some plastic parts both in front and rear. Nothing serious but you can see it's been there.

• Like 1

DamirGTI

Myself personally , very much like Uniroyal Rainexpert/Rainsport tyres .. a bit softer and faster wearing , but they grip on wet rainy soaked roads like mad , which is when you need them most to be spot on for safety cornering braking etc. .

Great price too .

Guess depends locally how much rainy days you have during the year ... over here it's even higher/severe rainy than the London !

D

• Like 1

Steve205

I have Rainsports on my 1.6 gti with same original wheels as in photo. Find them very good. Are on 3 years and I do about 5000 miles per annum. Still showing little sign of wear.  Car is used solely for road.

Stephen 

• Like 1

xstian

I too would recommend the rainsports. They are my go to tyre for 14" wheels.

• Like 1

thanks for the advice all above :) 

I have just ordered them*UR rainsports 3 - 175 R14 65 T  - they do have these tyres manufactured at 175 65 R14 T      - T ok for me T 118mph ok LoL 

I asked someone else but they said if I got 185 60 R14 x  then I would really better to change all four tyres

that seems to make sense? 

@SRDT - thanks for the 309 specific advice :) - I thought I would stick to 175 yes as told I would have to change all four over to 185 if I went for them. could be minor clash as you said. 

well got 2 for front wheels from ebay demon tweeks - seems the best price around last pair

I was tempted by the yokohama v903 and or the blue earth es 32 as alternatives as the yokohama's I have on my fiesta are superb but due to the recommendations  and I really like the tread pattern on the rainsports 3 

have gone for it 

will post again once I have fitted them

SRDT

I needed 175 65 R14 H for mine and at the time it was cheaper to go with some 185 60 R14 H. Later I felt it was worth it just for the look and extra grip so I never looked back at the prices.

got them looking great :) 

I really like the pattern. just to fit this afternoon 

thanks for the recommendation as I wouldn't have found these on my own. 

20211021_102848.jpg

20211021_102904.jpg

DamirGTI
On 10/19/2021 at 6:01 PM, Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi said:

I have just ordered them*UR rainsports 3 - 175 R14 65 T

They're the rain-expert you bought , not the rain-sport !

D

@DamirGTI thanks ,

I checked again but I actually can't get the rain sports 3 in 175 65 R14.  

As the pattern is very similar think I'll stick with these :) 

DamirGTI

No worries , rain-expert , also very good !

D

• Like 1

Do you guys always use bead sealer completely around the bead inner and outer when mounting your tyres? 

I have been using just soapy water in the past - just checking.