• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi

Advice wanted about the speedo drive fitting to gearbox BE1

(I realise I posting a lot - hope that's ok - just seems busy trying to resolve all the problems. 

this could be something simple - I'll look myself also in the meantime)

As part of removing the RHD drivers intermediate driveshaft I have noticed/taking this chance with it apart a problem with the speedo drive unit.

It doesn't seem to sit into the gearbox output position on the RHS - drivers side -offside UK

With it removed does the fitting position in the gearbox look normal? x2 pics 

I also managed to accidentally drop it and break one fixing bolt hole - cursed several times - lesson learnt about not doing things 

in a rush. Im praying that because this is not a load bearing component in shear - I can glue it and then just replace .....?

Will try that I guess - might be hard to get another one separately I guess unless buy a whole other gearbox. 

Don't know why/cant remember why I took it off. 

Looking now I could be missing an oil seal maybe, Ill check the parts cat. also now 

20210925_114912[1].jpg

20210925_114907[1].jpg

20210925_121142[1].jpg

Edited by Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi

DamirGTI

Diff bearing is not in the right position came out too far , needs to be deeper inside , tap it back in then you'll be able to fit back the speedo .

Bit unfortunate , you might get away with just the two bolts but odds are it might leak oil around broken area ... yes missing the O-ring as well :

http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/205F/2/22D27A.HTM

... apply some RTV sealant over/around speedo groove and over the O-ring and then pop back on it might seal up and be ok. .. if not , will need new/second hand part as gluing that one won't work only TIG welding it back .

D

• Thanks 1

brilliant thanks :) 

SRDT

This part is also used to set the preload on the diff bearings, you can have the 10mm one or the 8.65mm one that uses shims.

It's unusual to find the one with shims but strangely it's listed as a spare part for both BE1 and BE3 gearboxes. For racing it is advised to use the short extension with shims and a bit more preload.

http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/309F/3/31A10A.HTM

• Like 1

thank you guys so much

I managed to get the inner bearing pressed carefully back in thanks @DamirGTI

exactly as you said then the speedo drive went back -

I also noticed that the white plastic drive fits into the bearing first 

I haven't sealed it /not ordered the seal yet -

but it fits back lovely. 

It seems to be tight all around now.

the broken bit even seems to fit relatively ok 

thanks @SRDT

posting these pictures to update will look at this again tomorrow 

but really pleased its looking so much better I thought it wouldn't go back at all. 

20210925_153332.jpg

20210925_153310.jpg

20210925_152714.jpg

20210925_152023.jpg

SweetBadger

You should be able to get a used replacement speedo drive housing easily enough, and for very little money. If it’s the type without a shim, then they are common as muck!

I would not run it with the broken one - it’s responsible for the diff bearing preload, so all three bolts are probably essential.

• Like 1

@sweetbadger  brilliant thanks a lot :) sorry I have been busy with work and not seen the reply for a few days 

ok I will not run it with only two good bolts on this one  I ll start looking now and over the weekend. 

I got the oil seal ring as pictured. I will check sits in there asap - it looks good 

it's taking along time and a lot of work to get it back going again hopefully it won't be too much longer. 

thanks again others above for advice it's been really helpful having people to talk to about it that know about it as no one around here has a clue about motors let alone these peugeots. seems like working on older cars is becoming a lost art as example people all down this road they just bin their old cars and buy new ones.no one to ask about it around here.   

20211001_163000[1].jpg

20211001_162955[1].jpg

DamirGTI
23 hours ago, Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi said:

bin their old cars and buy new ones

New cars are like new fridges , washing machines , microwave oven's and the likes - look nice shiny with loads of buttons , stuffed with electronics and gadgets , quiet , safer , but "programmed" to last 5 years till the warranty expires and then they start to crap out with then considerable cost for repair and spare parts , i'm working on both new ones and old ones , very much prefer working on old/older cars .

Late 90's to early 2000's where the best years for quality made cars , materials and build quality was so much better with just enough (engine management) electronics not to be "outdated"/still refined for driving .

New cars are basically "throw away items" after 5 year .

D

Edited by DamirGTI
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 9:46 AM, SweetBadger said:

You should be able to get a used replacement speedo drive housing easily enough, and for very little money. If it’s the type without a shim, then they are common as muck!

got one thanks :) 

£15 + £4 post ebay job 

• Like 1

got it today 

yeah looks great much better to replace thanks again :) 

20211014_161035[1].jpg

ok just catching up with this on Sunday 

so I switched the speedo gear over. the plastic bits were not in the new housing .

I have installed the new oil seal and the drive unit -  as per photos.I cleaned it all and put some fresh oil

in and around before bolting it up.

couple questions........ 

i) what torque should the bolts be? maybe in the haynes or the french RTA I can find the values 

ii) I am just sorting out the intermediate bearing bushing support and need to install the driveshaft back but 

can I refill the gearbox with oil now?will it leak without the driveshaft installed? 

iii) on the old one was the rubber seal damaged on the outside?as they look different ?

any and all advice greatly appreciated 

thanks 

20211024_162922.jpg

20211024_162959.jpg

20211024_162834.jpg