• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stian_P

Hesitating under load/WOT

Stian_P

Hi.

I have a 90` 1,9 GTI with Motronic injection and a cat, 120 hp version. The problem I have is it hesitates a lot when trying to accelerate at speed, it`s also a bit more jerky off the line than it usually is.

If I try to accelerate it goes OK to about 3k RPM, if I floor it it really struggles to get past 3k RPM. It feels like it is loosing power if at WOT, compared to part throttle. It feels like a fueling problem to me, as it dosen`t misfire and the rev counter is stable.

My spark plugs are new, I changed them to se if they were a problem. Also my coil is new.

I  have a Walbro 255 pump that is about 5 years old, tested it today and it gave allmost 0,5 l in 10 sec turning the engine over. That seems a bit low to me, as it equates to about 180 l/h? The FPR is standard.

What do you guys think, do I have a fuelpump issue, or maybe the FPR is on its way out?

PhilNW

Have you checked the pump for pressure as well as flow?

Needs to be giving around 3 bar pressure

Stian_P

No I haven`t. Any tips on how to check it?

PhilNW

Tee a proper pressure gauge direct to pump outlet in first instance and run engine to see how pressure varies with engine revs.

Stian_P

Do you know what threads the fuel rail have? I'm gonna have a look and see what I can find, maybe a local shop have what I need. 

PhilNW

My test gauge came with tee piece/lengths of fuel hose and jubilee clips to fit push fit connectors.

pug_ham

What condition is your distributor cap in? 

I had a similar issue to this, albeit on a jetronic car, fine under light load but if you tried to accelerate hard, it spluttered like mad.

g

Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi

removed posting - misunderstood postings above 

Edited by Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi
mistake in reading the post

Stian_P
36 minutes ago, PhilNW said:

My test gauge came with tee piece/lengths of fuel hose and jubilee clips to fit push fit connectors.

Ok. I'll see what I can find next week. Thanks for helping, I'll report back when I know more. 

Stian_P
28 minutes ago, pug_ham said:

What condition is your distributor cap in? 

I had a similar issue to this, albeit on a jetronic car, fine under light load but if you tried to accelerate hard, it spluttered like mad.

g

It looks fine, No signs of wear or any other damage. My plugs look like New still, but they have not been in the car for Long. Maybe a bit early for signs of lean running. 

DamirGTI

Fueling/pressure problem or dirty injectors .. sounds like .

Simple things , fuel filter good ?

Is the check engine ON ? if so , run self diagnostics test .

D

Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi
5 hours ago, Stian_P said:

Do you know what threads the fuel rail have?

I have this measurement I think of the threaded connection - if that is needed 

20210924_195207[1].jpg

Stian_P
1 hour ago, DamirGTI said:

Fueling/pressure problem or dirty injectors .. sounds like .

Simple things , fuel filter good ?

Is the check engine ON ? if so , run self diagnostics test .

D

I had the injectors ultrasonic cleaned 5 or 6 years ago, the fuel filter was changed about 10-12000 km ago. So I think they should be ok. No check engine light So far at least. 

The fuel pump is a pretty cheap walbro pump, dont know if they are any good? So I am thinking either fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator. Any thoughts? 

DamirGTI

Might be fake/knock off Walbro , there's fake ones all over the webshops/ebay and the likes need to shop around carefully .. obviously fake ones don't last long .

Or there's pressure/supply leak somewhere in the pump-to-housing connection .

Early OE Bosch roller cell pumps often last for ages (if not left unused in the stale fuel) and supply well over needed fuel volume for 1.9 engine , later Ph2 turbine style pumps not as good as early ones .

If you still have working spare OE pump , try it out instead that Walbro ..

Press. regulator - unlikely from my personal experience , they rarely go bust and also last for very long time trouble free .. just the vacuum hose/line from the manifold to the reg. , tends to split/crack/deteriorate due to age so yes check that one if it's still fine .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Stian_P
12 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

Might be fake/knock off Walbro , there's fake ones all over the webshops/ebay and the likes need to shop around carefully .. obviously fake ones don't last long .

Or there's pressure/supply leak somewhere in the pump-to-housing connection .

Early OE Bosch roller cell pumps often last for ages (if not left unused in the stale fuel) and supply well over needed fuel volume for 1.9 engine , later Ph2 turbine style pumps not as good as early ones .

If you still have working spare OE pump , try it out instead that Walbro ..

Press. regulator - unlikely from my personal experience , they rarely go bust and also last for very long time trouble free .. just the vacuum hose/line from the manifold to the reg. , tends to split/crack/deteriorate due to age so yes check that one if it's still fine .

D

It may be a fake, I remember it was quite qheap. I guess I'll have to buy a new one then, I have found Bosch pumps for sale. Do you know if those are any good? 

DamirGTI

Certainly , Bosch pumps are well known for quality/durability they're OEM suppler/factory fit pumps on a lot of cars .. can't go wrong with them .

But , take the current pump out and have a look .. if the hose connection between the pump and pump housing is maybe split/leaking , also check if it's real or fake Walbro by this info : https://www.driven2automotive.com/blog/spot-fake-walbro-gss342-fuel-pumps-2017-18/

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Stian_P

I'll order a new Bosch pump, and hopefully that will fix the problem. Not sure if I have a fake Walbro, but there is no pressure in the fuel lines after I shut of the engine. Probably a fake one, considering the low price I paid. 

Thank you all for helping out, it's much apreciated. I'll let you know how it goes. 

Stian_P

Turns out I have a real Walbro pump after all. And of course the bosch pump diameter is bigger, about 3 mm. So it dosent fit the adaptor I got from Allenallen. So I am considering drilling the hole bigger, Just need to find a place that can do it for me. 

But the bosch pump I got, could it be for a phase 2 maybe? I have the phase 1 Black housing. 

Stian_P

Today I tried another standard pump I had in a cabinet, thought I'd give it a go. It made a tiny squeel when I startede cranking, but after the engine came to life it buzzed away quite happily it seemed. And best of all, it cured my problem. No more hesitation at acceleration.

I Just hope the pump Will keep working, and it Will be happy days from now on ;)

Thanks for youre input guys, much apreciated.