• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Steve K

Finally bought one!!

Steve K

Wheel wobble sorted today. My friend who did it twice said to me the adapters for centreless wheels hadn't been used in ages so thought that's why his attempts were no good. Took it to another garage today and they have sorted it. The car drives superbly now. He also told me one tyre has a small flat spot/is out of shape and one of the wheels has a buckle. Still, let's get a wedding in Ireland and Christmas done and hopefully get some 15 inch 1.9's next year! On the downside ... I was cleaning the drive today and noticed there is still a leak as drops of oil on the ground found. :unsure: Going to have to keep an eye on the level and sort next year as I dont have the funds atm! Stereo sorted too today as I noticed the speakers were wired in the wrong polarity and one wasnt plugged in correctly so now it's MUCH better! I'm also still waiting for the V5C! Had to apply for it manually. Learning that it's more about the journey then the final destination when owning a 205! :lol:

Steve K

New development this evening.. been enjoying driving the car to and from work daily, no dramas, taking the car out at weekends for a little blast ... no issues, pull onto the drive this evening aaaannnndddd gear stick comes off in my hand and I'm stuck in 1st. Limped it to my mates garage in 1st all the way there and hopefully it's just the gear linkage that's popped off as I read it's quite common (rubber bush in a metal rod)! Excuse my language btw ... was rather frustrated and flustered at the time!

dcc

When it's not hot under the bonnet, just pop the gear selector rod back on the ball joint :) as you look in the engine bay, down behind the distributor. It's probably worn and will need replacing, I recommend the ones BakerBM sell with a retaining clip, and he's also a forum sponsor who typically offers a bit of discount :)

• Thanks 1

dcc

Also worth noting that one of the reasons they fail is as a result of the lower engine mount bush wearing :)

• Thanks 1

Steve K

Thank you dcc. I got it sorted today. You were correct, it had come off the ball joint. I got it resecured (although it took a bit of force which surprised me that it came off in the first place!) and cable tied it in place until I purchase the modified one. Will prob replace that and the linkages in the new year to give the gear change a more positive feel. Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

Typically a cable tie won’t stay on long as the linkages move about. Best temp fix is rip the end of the finger off a mechanics rubber glove, put that over the ball then pop the joint back together. The rubber will just pad the ball out enough to still work but not pop off. Until you can replace as Dan mentioned above.

• Like 1

Steve K

So, a separate note today. I have just ordered the rallye grille sticker (I know not genuine for this car but I like it) and I want to order some period number plates (pre 2001 style - larger font) for a more 'authentic look. Anyone know where I can get them from? 

Edited by Steve K
Spelling

Steve K

For reference, one like this... 

23919260812_dcfb4612c3_b.jpg

welshpug

you'd have to ask the previous owner on that one!

Tom Fenton

Ejector seat of course.

• Haha 1

Steve K

Grille decals added today ... 

20220109_112845_copy_796x1416.jpg

Tideee
13 hours ago, Steve K said:

Yellow fogs today .. 

20220110_192713_copy_796x1416.jpg

20220110_192732_copy_796x1416.jpg

Looking good Stephen :-).....may I ask what you might be doing with your old clear fogs ?? 

Steve K

Thanks Tidee. They are the clear ones wrapped in yellow film. :D.

20220111_124132.jpg

• Haha 1

Tideee
On 1/11/2022 at 8:50 PM, Steve K said:

Thanks Tidee. They are the clear ones wrapped in yellow film. :D.

20220111_124132.jpg

ha ha....nice one - Thanks :P

E933LVN

Hi Steve, I've literally just done the same thing regarding number plates, I've found somebody who makes 90s style plates using the original Charles Wright font, he puts dealer names and logos on them etc, he's on Facebook..... retroplates@hotmail.com 

They aren't cheap but I've seen examples and they look excellent. 

E933LVN

.......... If you aren't bothered about getting original font dealer name and phone number etc below, you can get these made up.... 

Screenshot_20220115-210746_Samsung Internet.jpg

E933LVN

I forgot to say, they're from Plates for Cars. ☝️

Steve K

Wow! Perfect, thank you for that. Will sort them out definitely.. ;)

Steve K

Some plastic restoration this week... come out really nice I think.

20220126_123311_copy_796x1416.jpg

20220126_123315_copy_796x1416.jpg

20220126_123325_copy_796x1416.jpg

20220126_123330_copy_796x1416.jpg

20220126_123342_copy_796x1416.jpg

Steve K

Some advice if I can ... when I come off throttle and back on it isn't as smooth as it was and jolts when cold and of done quickly when warm. Does this sound like engine mounts?

DamirGTI

To a degree it's the nature of the car , because of the engine management (fuel cut off) and wear and tear of them components , though , worn engine mounts will make those jerky sensations 10X worse . 

So , yes ... if there's no recorded history when the mounts where replaced last time , replace them - all of them at once as an set , they're not expensive and still readily available . Should be much better with new ones , if still a little bit jerky will need to play a bit with the engine management setup but can never make it 100% smooth on-off throttle on Jetronic  .

D

• Thanks 1

Steve K

Not posted for a while. Gave the car a little clean tonight after not being used for a while due to Covid! 

20220224_183534_copy_1416x688.jpg

20220224_183545_copy_1416x688.jpg

20220224_183552_copy_688x1416.jpg

20220224_183603_copy_1416x688.jpg