• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

TommyK

Transfering an 89 cti chassis & engine into a gti hatchback shell

TommyK

Hi Guys, i currently have a 1989 Cti in perfect driving condition. I would like to get a hatchback gti shell & transfer engine, chassis, gearbox ( everything really) into the hatchback gti shell. 
Has anybody undertaking this project and if so is it straightforward or is there much modification of the new gti shell needed ??

any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

welshpug

no shell mods required, you will need different carpet and rear seats, parcel shelf and rear interior plastics.

cti uses base model front suspension, tca instead of the wishbones that a gti uses, also lower power 1.9, unless its a 115 bhp 1.6.

TommyK

Thanks welshpug. Yes my cti is the 115bhp 1.6.

By the sounds of things it sounds very do-able  so. Ya it wasn't so much the inside i was worried about as i kinda knew the internal set up to be different. So basically if i source a similar year shell that contained a 1.6 engine would i be be right in saying that its a straightforward job for a guy thats used to rebuilding cars?

I presume if i do go ahead and carry this project out , that my existing registration plate for the cti is still valid for the vehicle even though it has a hatchback shell on it, or what is the official view on this??

welshpug

no you cannot swap the registration number, unless its a cherished plate.

you would be far better off selling the cti whole and buying a complete gti.

TommyK

Ok so the registration of the shell vehicle is what remains…… i get ya…….. 

thanks for the info. Yes might be a better idea to just move on the cti and purchase a complete hatch…….. thanks for your help