• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
damo

Oil pressure gauge wiring to dash instrument cluster

damo

Hi, my oil pressure dial doesn't work. Changed the sensor and the wiring looks good to the engine bay brown plug. Any one know how the wiring goes from the brown plug in the engine bay to the clocks on the dash? 

I've also replace the whole loom out to the brown plugs under the dash so I think it must be the Speedo / dash clock cluster? 

It's been out to replace bulbs and the left hand side still doesn't light in the top corner. The oil pressure didn't work before, so going to try and look at the dash wiring or get some a replacement dash instrument cluster.

Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi

do you get a voltage reading on the brown plug - that connects to the oil pressure sensor - between that plug and earth/masse/ground? 

I think you can check the wiring and supply voltage to it this way - there should be voltage to the brown plug - 

that checks the supply to the sensor is working 

&if you apply a voltage yourself to that plug if the wiring and the dial/gauge/needle  on the dash if working 

it will move** Ill check again in a minute what voltage it is to the oil pressure gauge ** ill just double check what voltage I used make sure I don't tell use the wrong voltage 

I did this recently when I thought mine was not working. 

oh reading last paragraph if that light doesnt come on it could be the instruments cluster. the needle wont move unless that red light comes on with key turned to pos 1 or 2 ill check 

I don't know the exact pathway of the wires but I know it goes around under the ignition coil - passenger right hand corner of the engine bay because it is on the bundles of cables that does connection to the dash coolant temp warning light - red STOP - when its too hot the coolant 

well hope this helps until/if anyone else has better ideas 

Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi

yeah the brown connector reads 7.10 V via multi-meter to earth** - photo 1 

gives the needle not moving but light on on the dash 

when I ground connect the probes in the same position photo 3  -

-so the connector is grounded - the needle moves to absolute max- photo 4.

the red light seems to on all the time 

**I just connected the red lead of the meter to the brown connector and the black to battery -ve 

20210915_171151[1].jpg

20210915_171208[1].jpg

20210915_171233[1].jpg

20210915_171242[1].jpg

damo

Thanks for that, something to investigate. The red light does light up on mine, the dash night lights don't light in the top left even after new bulbs. 

What you have explained should prove if it's the wiring or not from the engine bay brown plug to the dash cluster.