• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi

brake limiters 205 309

I'm a bit stuck trying to work out the difference in design/how each works, of these brake limiters in the

205 1.6 & 1.9GTi and the 3091.6SRi &other 1.6 injection models?GRi?  and 3091.9 GTI  - maybe others not sure 

so photo 1 - from previous advice and reading the Haynes I think it works using a ball bearing inside. It seems this in installed 

horizontally in the 2051.6 gti models in the engine bay under the ignition coil. bigger in size than the second type below must be because it has a large ish ball bearing inside (?)

this makes sense that it works on inertia because its mounted horizontally or close to H, it would appear the outlet 

is on the front so maybe the ball bearing moves forward when braking deceleration - that would make sense right(9?)  

that limits the fluid out under braking. 

photo 2 - are these just pressure limiters? they appear to have smaller size. not big enough for anything inside. there are different part numbers listed for the 1.6 309injection modelXU5  and the 309 1.9. gti?XU9  I think that the 309 gti 1.9 had two brake lines for the rear with one of these limiters in each line. Each line is served by one port from the Master cylinder at the front/1st circuit? I need to check that though I am not 100%

the 1.6 SRi 309 has both brakes served by one port from the master cylinder/ nearest the driver  on the left 

I pictured the old one from the 1.6 sri and the new one I got which I think is the correct part no Ill need to double check this now as it could be the 1.9gti version - they look the same so I ll need to check 

I have seen like "smaller versions" of these on the 1.9 205 gti installed at the rear in the lines. well look similar 

it's a hexagon shape in cross section that looks the same I guess. the length is much smaller. 

could cut old one in half I guess to make sure - pretty expensive though even hard to get them new again! 

I need to work out what part numbers are, peugeot part numbers and bosch part number for my 1.6 injection single one in line to rear - as previous advice and discussion it is in the engine bay seems to be vertically mounted. therefore these type 2 ones cannot be inertia devices ? they must just be pressure limiters / proportionate reduction devices?

Ill figure it out eventually I guess LoL 

s-l300.jpg

20210906_192240.jpg

welshpug

1st pic, 1.6 valve, ball type not sprung, fixed angle specified by the bracket, they are not mounted vertically,  the angle is close to that of the lower section of the chassis leg.

your 2nd pic, the 1.9 valve on the left, rising rate sprung pressure limiter, early and late types denoted by a letter marked on them, E and F from memory.

unsure what the difference is between them but I know the knee point of the later valve is 20 bar, above which the rears dont get any more.

dont know the part on the right of your second image, not one I have come across myself.

309 gti uses the same type of valve and layout as a 1.9 205, but a knee point of 25 bar,  if I recall this valve cross references to a mid 80's ferrari!

Edited by welshpug
  • Thanks 1

SRDT

Here is a cutaway of the 1.6 limiter:

mcwj110.jpg

• Thanks 1

thanks so much guys :) :) :) 

&just found some more info also as I recently ordered the french tech manual for the 1.9 gti 309&

I just found this page with graph and table in the brakes section now I had some time to off work to

look into this detail 

ok so with what you guys have said and this it's all starting to make sense now......

20210910_203927[1].jpg

20210910_200038[1].jpg

@welshpug  ah ha cut off knee point - it's exactly what you said 25 BAR :))))  for the 1.9 gti 

- you know more than the guys on the french forum :)))))) LoL  he was saying it was the ball type which is why getting confused 

{I just added the arrow myself - sorry I didn't know what knee point was until googled it and looked at this graph 

now I get it :))))) }

yeah what's great also is that I tested the front brake pressure in the front caliper and I was getting 60 BAR as we discussed in that thread so that looks about right also then 

so its just a spring in the type 2 I called it.

they are hexagonal - thats so you can tighten it with a spanner - so obvious I never realised until I thought about it . 

brilliant I just got a couple minor points tomorrow about the part numbers but think I can get it finished now

kneepointenglish.jpg