• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

richard64

Snapped fresh air vent cable

richard64

The fresh air vent cable has snapped on my car. Just wondering how to go about replacing it. I already have most of the dash out searching for a wiring fault so I am hoping it doesn't require too much more disassembly from this point. Can a new wire be made from modelling spring wire (piano wire) or are these parts available? How does the wire get removed from the plastic part? Just lever it up carefully and hope the plastic part does not snap? 

Thanks 

IMG_20210820_181207.jpg

Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi

I don't know any of this for sure as I have never done one of these but I just had a look in the HM 205[932;1983-1991] to see if there is anything that could help me try and help,

found the pic below. pic 1 think this is the part looks identical must be 

quote"are these parts still available" -  I would try for sure;start by looking at http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/

to get the part no then google? 

looks like it is something where the anchor to the end of the cable threads through to lock it into position to pull when the wire is pulled - if you push the wire forward would the anchor move forward? then you can unthread it from the plastic ?(is it not like the other cable attachments like the accelerator?)                                                                                                                        pic1 below      

image.thumb.png.4e9fda8f3d8112b4bf49828491f58c7e.png

Gohn

its pretty good wire when corrosion free and usually just manouvre out the S end or pop out if its at right angle

there are two kinds of heater controls Behr (which I've never seen) and Valeo

they're available from wreckers/breakers or ebay:

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 9.26.04 PM.png

richard64

When I replaced mine a while ago. I disconnected the old cable and tied the new cable to the end of the old cable. When I pulled the old cable out it pulled the new cable into the correct position.