• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

pugfrank

Fixing clips & bolts bumpers and trims?

pugfrank

Hi all, 

Im due to have a go at removing bumpers front and rear and and side trims on my 1.6 gti.

Got a couple of questions as have never done this before,  I have done a few searches and understand the main fixing locations of the bumpers.  They are probably not going to undo so cutting and grinding is probably on the horizon, so my question is where is the best place to purchase replacements fixings ? is a kit best? or can you buy everything individual?  Found this kit on ebay any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE-Peugeot-205-GTi-Bumper-Fitting-Kit-Fixings-Clips-Bumper-Bolts-/392078756422?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=Cj0KCQjwl_SHBhCQARIsAFIFRVWBB9P3roZrASJA0vrj6RtsIXbeq_2s869b49ZEGPF8vZMdmBcn-V4aAvrIEALw_wcB

Also something Im not clear on is how and when you remove the red trims from the bumpers? do they come off before you remove grey bumpers from the car? or after and if so how? Is is possible to remove red trims and not bend and buckle them?  Sorry of this question has been asked before, but could not find an answer when i searched the forum, might have been using the wrong word phrases.

welshpug

I certainly would not be buying that kit, the very same seller used to do them at £24, all they do is buy from a Peugeot dealer in bulk and sell on at a huge profit.

BakerBM do a bumper mounting Kit as well as some of the individual parts, the plastic clips will likely be reusable.

it is possible to unclip the trim pieces, get a set of trim removal tools, Halfords, Amazon, ebay etc can provide a wide variety.

pugfrank
8 hours ago, welshpug said:

I certainly would not be buying that kit, the very same seller used to do them at £24, all they do is buy from a Peugeot dealer in bulk and sell on at a huge profit.

BakerBM do a bumper mounting Kit as well as some of the individual parts, the plastic clips will likely be reusable.

it is possible to unclip the trim pieces, get a set of trim removal tools, Halfords, Amazon, ebay etc can provide a wide variety.

Thanks Welshpug, Do you know how I get hold of all the part numbers for all the clips and fixings so I can source individually? 

pugfrank
8 hours ago, welshpug said:

Sorry Welshpug, so i can remove the bumpers and side bumpers with red trims still in place? 

Gohn
On 7/26/2021 at 5:32 AM, pugfrank said:

so i can remove the bumpers and side bumpers with red trims still in place? 

no, the red (or chrome in other models) trims need to be carefully lifted up/out at each end.

under these is the bolt end that slots into the bumper. the other end of this inside the wheel arch is a nut

undo nut take out bolt to each side,

also two to front of bumper, take out headlights or grill panels to access nuts in behind

they are the 4 main fixing bolts all under the trim strip

the trim removal tool mei recommends is good but you can use a flathead just be careful and gentle

you shouldn't need to do any grinding, even with the corrosion problems there

and if you're careful getting it off all the plastic bits will be ok to reuse

farmer

Mei you are behind the times a little !!

Those kits are near £41 each now RRP 

Hardly a huge markup times you minus fees 

pugfrank
On 7/27/2021 at 8:37 AM, Gohn said:

no, the red (or chrome in other models) trims need to be carefully lifted up/out at each end.

under these is the bolt end that slots into the bumper. the other end of this inside the wheel arch is a nut

also two to front of bumper, take out headlights or grill panels to access nuts in behind

the trim removal tool mei recommends is good but you can use a flathead just be careful and gentle

Thank you

pugfrank

Job done :rolleyes:

On 7/27/2021 at 8:37 AM, Gohn said:

Thank you

PXL_20210801_100834990.MP.jpg

PXL_20210801_121338821.jpg

pugfrank

Snapped this bolt yesterday, what's the best fix?  Thread is captive, you cant get to the other side, I don't think. 

PXL_20210801_133354999 111.jpg

Edited by pugfrank
wrong image

Tom Fenton

It is welded onto the inner end of the front bumper "iron". Once the bumper is off pull the iron out of the chassis leg and you will see. I have repaired plenty of them by grinding the original bolt off turning the head down on another bolt and welding it back on.

• Like 1

DamirGTI

Insides of the thread is chassis leg , thus not accessible .

If you can weld , weld an nut on to the bolt remains and wait till cools down .. then unscrew , might need few times try but by far it's most effective way .

Or usual , drill it and use broken bolt extractors (be careful while working with extractor tools , as it can snap inside and it's hardened steel very hard near impossible to drill afterwards ..)

If i where you , i'd just remove that bumper support bar and "say nobody about it" ... forget about it ... don't have them on my 205's for years of use .

D

DamirGTI
36 minutes ago, Tom Fenton said:

It is welded onto the inner end of the front bumper "iron".

Right ! spot on Tom i completely forgotten about it ... the black iron bumper bars that slide inside the chassis rails .

Yes , easy fix by grinding off old broken bolt remains and welding on new ones .

D

(EDIT : ignore my post above !)

Edited by DamirGTI

pugfrank

Thanks guys, all became clear :D

PXL_20210802_162259055.jpg

pugfrank

I came to removing the last couple of red trims, which are the ones on the front wings (120mm long)  are these fixed differently to all the other trims? no amount of prising from the face with a small pallet knife was going to get them off! started to bend one  :blink: so decided to stop and ask the question on  here. 

PXL_20210804_173805584.thumb.jpg.d629f274986648479ed42c2d99b2b6ff.jpg

pugfrank
On 8/6/2021 at 1:25 PM, pugfrank said:

I came to removing the last couple of red trims, which are the ones on the front wings (120mm long)  are these fixed differently to all the other trims? no amount of prising from the face with a small pallet knife was going to get them off! started to bend one  :blink: so decided to stop and ask the question on  here. 

PXL_20210804_173805584.thumb.jpg.d629f274986648479ed42c2d99b2b6ff.jpg

Should I be using a tool more like this one ? that leavers from both sides of the fastening? 

image.png.b6b777ebc0f77c9241f3ec899cef61f3.png

Gohn

this is a dont know ,

I've only taken off GTI trims once (they were bodged onto a base model body by a prev owner)

not sure if his fastening system was exactly factory either

cant remember but maybe this small section was screwed on or something ??

during removal I was only trying to ensure the body didn't copy any more of a beating

sounds like your current situation

I'd go check the trims but I gave em away soon after

if you use the tool above dont forget to put a cloth or bit of leather under the heal first, it'll save your paint

good luck

Gohn

hang on a second

maybe this pic will help :

or maybe not, geez i dunno

looks like the arch fixings are pozi head screws and the two that you're stuck on are maybe press in body clips ??

front trim.png

pugfrank
9 minutes ago, Gohn said:

hang on a second

maybe this pic will help :

or maybe not, geez i dunno

looks like the arch fixings are pozi head screws and the two that you're stuck on are maybe press in body clips ??

front trim.png

Yes the ones Im struggling with "C" seem to be press in body clips, thank you Gohn.

pugfrank

Sorted, I removed the whole wheel arch trim, which took the red trim with it. No way was the red trim going t come of with out damaging it.  Removing the whole wheel arch trim was the trick.