• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

C0rnflakes

1.4 TU offside driveshaft stuck

C0rnflakes

Hey guys!

I've been working to replace the driveshafts on my 1992 205 CJ 1.4 TU. I've removed the front brakes, hub carrier assembly, dismantled the front driver's side suspension pretty much fully and the driveshaft moves around freely, but it feels very stuck when I tug on it to pull it out of the gearbox. I see a small amount of movement at the gearbox end so I am certain it's free there. I suspect that the driveshaft is stuck in the intermediate bearing, but I can't seem to get any movement at all. Aside from just pulling the driveshaft from the end a fair bit, I've tried unbolting the intermediate bearing bracket from the block, undoing the lower engine mount, loosening and rotating the little bolts on the side of the intermediate bracket, and prying the bracket away until it clears the block, but still no success!

Does anyone have any idea how I might go about removing the shaft? I've got a bit of mechanical experience but I'm by no means an expert! 
I've had a bit of a look on the internet and found a few threads here and there for this issue and people recommended hitting it hard with a drift, but I can't seem to get at it really well enough, and it seems as though the bearing is recessed so I can't fit anything suitable in the gap to hit it. Is there any way to realistically remove this without having to remove the engine+gearbox? Should be noted that I'm a driveway mechanic, so I've got about as much room as the axle stands will allow.

welshpug

use a drift on the bearing retaining bush, it can take quite  a bit of force if it was not coated in any form of anti seize and not being disturbed for a few years, make sure you have a decent weighted hammer, have seen so many use cheapy claw hammers that have no place at all in an automotive application.

C0rnflakes
On 7/25/2021 at 12:03 PM, welshpug said:

use a drift on the bearing retaining bush, it can take quite  a bit of force if it was not coated in any form of anti seize and not being disturbed for a few years, make sure you have a decent weighted hammer, have seen so many use cheapy claw hammers that have no place at all in an automotive application.

Hello, thank you for the reply! I totally agree, I usually use a lump hammer for things that need a bit more persuasion! I'll attach a photo, could you perhaps mark where to put the drift, as the gap is very small and I want to make sure I've got it right before hitting it hard! Thank you again, I appreciate it!

IMG_20210726_153320.jpg

Gohn

cornflakes

- mines XU but should be same principle and general set up -

- if you can, remove the two hockey stick bolts from the intermediate mount first

that way you're sure they're not hanging it up and preventing removal of the driveshaft

- then WD40 around the intermediate bearing (might not do much but cant hurt)

- if you've still got the intermediate bearing bracket bolts loose, tighten them up. the bracket must be secure to the block so when you clunk the driveshaft it shocks the bearing free of the bracket

- when I blew up your pic it shows you or a previous owner has already drifted onto the bearing retaining ring. its the ring around the driveshaft, in between the two bolt ends of the hockey stick shaped retaining bolts. looks like someone has already used a chisel end as a drift. thats the spot you wanna set your drift ready for the clobber. anywhere around that ring from the side you've taken the pic

- take extra time to get as good a drift as you can, good hammer, and some manouvering room for the hit and welly. get a drift that wont slip off and is solid so all the energy goes into the ring/driveshaft to shock it loose

- you are drifting from centre of car to the outside

• Like 1

welshpug

xu is identical in arrangement, just different parts, the bearing itself is the same.

• Like 1

C0rnflakes
On 7/28/2021 at 6:42 AM, Gohn said:

cornflakes

- mines XU but should be same principle and general set up -

- if you can, remove the two hockey stick bolts from the intermediate mount first

that way you're sure they're not hanging it up and preventing removal of the driveshaft

- then WD40 around the intermediate bearing (might not do much but cant hurt)

- if you've still got the intermediate bearing bracket bolts loose, tighten them up. the bracket must be secure to the block so when you clunk the driveshaft it shocks the bearing free of the bracket

- when I blew up your pic it shows you or a previous owner has already drifted onto the bearing retaining ring. its the ring around the driveshaft, in between the two bolt ends of the hockey stick shaped retaining bolts. looks like someone has already used a chisel end as a drift. thats the spot you wanna set your drift ready for the clobber. anywhere around that ring from the side you've taken the pic

- take extra time to get as good a drift as you can, good hammer, and some manouvering room for the hit and welly. get a drift that wont slip off and is solid so all the energy goes into the ring/driveshaft to shock it loose

- you are drifting from centre of car to the outside

Hello! It took quite some time and a LOT of hitting, but it finally came free! Thank you so much for your help guys, I really appreciate it. Live savers!

• Like 1