• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ren89

Crankshaft pulley help?

Ren89

Hi, I'm trying to loosen and remove the crankshaft pulley bolt but it's very tight and I'm unsure of the direction I should be loosening it? don't what to damage anything.

Cheers Craig.

DSC_0251.JPG

DSC_0250.JPG

petert

You need either a rattle gun and/or lock the flywheel and use a breaker bar. Normal RH thread. Cheers

pug_ham

Lefty loosey, righty tighty. :D

Don't try to use the timing pin holes to undo the crank bolt though, best way to get a proper flywheel lock that bolts to the gearbox after you remove the metal plate between the engine & box or you can do the same by jamming a decent sized screwdriver in there.

g.

DamirGTI

Could be hardest grade loctite/thread-lock used on the bolt threads + too much "Nm" who ever did it previously , in that case i'd heat up the bolt with blowtorch first to soften the thread-lock then try to undo whilst still warm ..

As Graham says , lock the flywheel if working with hand tools rather than the air gun ..

D

Edited by DamirGTI

MrAndy

Agree with the above...

One thing to add, when you get the bolt open, do not hit the pulley or try to use a puller on it. You will break it (ask me how I know..)

Instead give it WD40 and time, it is not tight on the shaft once the rust has been softened with WD40.

Also some heat can be applied if necessary, but no violence.

-A-

• Like 1