• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Haarek

Starter engaging when engine running

Haarek

Hi, yesterday i started my car, 1990 model 1.6 l with 1.9 dkz engine, after a full renovation. It took some turns to get the engine going but  it started and sounded okay. After a while, the starter engaged. I turned the key fast on and off, and every time the starter was engaging when it should not. If I pull out task relay, the starter stops. Any clues to what could be wrong?

Issue two, I am not sure if the coil connection is correct because I did not start this project. I have a coil where the contact is numbered from 1-4. From what i can see in the diagram number 1 should go to the instrument panel, number 2 goes to number 7 at ignition module. Number 3 goes to number 4 on ignition module, number 4 goes to fuse box. The cables have been tampered with, so there is no marking on them. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Thank you in advance.

ian010778

I had this on my 1.6 a while ago - starter engaged getting on the A50 in Stoke and resulted in a long ride in a recovery truck.

Replacement starter motor (slim type for fat type) and solenoid sorted it.

Ian.

Telf

Check your ignition  barrel. They wear and the key postion won't flick back from start to just ignition on. Hence the starter motor stays engaged. 

I has exactly this recently.  A replacement ignition barrel cured it