• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

205style

TU 1.1 Suspension Height

205style

Hi all

I’ve recently had a local garage fit some new suspension coils to get my 205 Style through its last MOT. However, the new springs are sat incredibly high, despite being the supposedly correct ones for the car (KYB RA1542). 

I just need some advice on lowering the car! I’m struggling to find some exact Peugeot standard springs for my TU 1.1 so a bit unsure of what my alternatives are. 

Will my car have the same struts as any other model? What aftermarket options do I have as well. 

What would you do? 

I’m not looking to slam the car, I just need to put the car back to its standard height.

Cheers!

DC087C5E-60B3-4271-AFE2-B95A2D0D2CB4.jpeg

welshpug

what was wrong with the original springs?

you most likely have kyb for a disel or gti

205style
Just now, welshpug said:

what was wrong with the original springs?

you most likely have kyb for a disel or gti

Old springs had a crack and were original. Upon searching up the code on the springs it does say they are for a 1.1 TU. I’m really stumped!

welshpug

quite unusual for a 205, I still have my original springs for my gti.

if kyb dont list properly I would look elsewhere, 106 is not far off on axle weights and also used the 1.1 tu and ma box.

205style
1 minute ago, welshpug said:

quite unusual for a 205, I still have my original springs for my gti.

if kyb dont list properly I would look elsewhere, 106 is not far off on axle weights and also used the 1.1 tu and ma box.

Good thought about the 106. Could they be a straight swap? 

Gohn

your ride height looks really maxxed out there ollie!

that's unusual to crack a coil spring,

I also have original springs from petrol and diesel 205's, both still great

we didn't get the 106 here but should be straight swap (but better confirm with mei who'll know more)

keep your original struts, and either use the 106 springs or get some originals from a TU engined 205

I'd look around for the latter but you may be keen to get it on the road immediately and dont have the time to look around..

there's a few diff springs for the different engines the 205 had

the springs from the diesels will be no good as they'll set your ride height too uppity,

but a used set from most of the other petrol ones TU or XU I would guess at ok for yours

if you find an old set and not sure what they are from, each spring should have coloured stripes which you can confirm against the peug parts catalog

it takes a while but with a nice set of coil spring compressors and an M7 hex and M21 ? ring spanner you can do it all yourself

just do one at a time carefully as there's a lot of energy compressed in them

it took me ages to know where to put the manual spring compressors,

or take them in with the replacement springs and get the local garage to use their fancy hydraulic coil spring compressor

welshpug

106 springs will fit fine, I have used a 106 lowering spring on a 205.

DamirGTI

Seems to be common with aftermarket springs in the std. range for the 205 , that it results with the "level up" .. best to find OE springs or 106 item as said , contrary to the newer cars (which nowadays often need spring replacement) myself also never seen 205 springs rusted/worn as badly that they needed replacement .. thus finding some good used ones shouldn't be a problem .

Wouldn't really recommend doing the replacement by yourself (especially if not used to mechanics) , as it's one of those jobs where you (and potentially someone or something standing near) can get seriously injured if "things go south" ... also , aside from the spring compress. tool often than not will need an air gun to undo the central locking nut too .

D

Davetouch

That looks awfully like mine (also 1.1TU) and I put 405 diesel springs in (intentionally). They are identical apart from the thickness of the coils (same number of turns and unsprung length) so I'd check the diameter compared to the originals (if you still have them). The wrong parts were clearly ordered. One thing is it definitely won't be doing any good for your camber, so it won't handle well (I fixed this with the 309 wider track parts but obviously you won't want that).

To be honest I'd suggest taking it back to the garage that did the work and explaining to them that it is obviously wrong and they need to change it to the correct parts.

My car can be seen here (profile pic is...before):