• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Steve205

Correct gear oil. 75w80

Steve205

Good morning.  Quick question.  Welshpug suggested I change gearoil in box to 75w80.  All factors only seem to have semi-synth versions of this. Rang local Peugeot dealer. They stock 75W

( no following number) and said it best for car. Is this correct oil for '89 1.6gti. Be1 box?  Guy on phone was younger than the car..... Thought it best to get an experienced answer.

Thanks. Stephen 

jord294

Get the pug stuff. Same throughout most of range but labelled shorter

welshpug

75w will work fine, they use it in the newest boxes for fuel economy, but its still a BE box

Steve205

Thanks for that. Appreciate the advice.  Hopefully it will solve the difficult when hot gear changes. Will keep ye posted if more action is needed. ....

Stephen 

DamirGTI

I find most shops these days stock 75W-90 and are really up to trying to convince you that it's "the best" no matter the car and OEM spec. for the gearbox oil grade  , especially combine sale and service shops where you can pick the oil and get it changed/replaced .

Obviously the salesman/garage profit margin is the reason why , as one can earn good money on lubes + replacement ... myself for 205 i always ask for 75W-80 , if there isn't any or it's some silly price per liter , off i go keep looking around till i find some .. and there's so much sources/people selling oils these days can get what ever you want and at very good price if you "shop around" a bit .

GL4 is for PSA gearboxes , a lot of 75W-90 oils tend to be GL5 .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

309SRiguy

It is worth tracking down 75w80.

I used 80w90 in BE1 when I couldn't find the recommended 75w80. The box felt a bit sluggish and sticky.

The change back to 75w80 made a great improvement to gear shifts. 

SweetBadger

Total Gear 8 / Total Traxium Gear 8 is suitable and readily available to buy online. About £10 per l

Steve205

I picked up the Eurorepar 75W from Peugeot main dealer (gl4). €11 a litre.  Price wasn't out of the way. The service manager said this is best gear oil for a Be box. Will put in to car next week,  when I get to use a lift. Noticed the Be1 box has 2 drain plugs. One plastic looking one at bottom (not sure how to open that 1 yet), one nut at side. Is one for gears/ other for differential?  Anyone know an easy way to access filler point? 

Stephen 

Edited by Steve205
Spelling error

dcc

You fill through the side as that's the level for the box (when car is sat level it's around 2.2l required from memory).

You can also use the breather on top of the gearbox to fill up, it removed easily with a 17mm spanner iirc. You don't have a way to check level here, so you need to measure the correct volume before filling)

The bottom plug should be metal, and iirc has a copper crush washer which needs to be replaced when you remove the nut. Use this to drain the gearbox. I tend to give it 5mins of draining to get as much of the old oil out as possible.

welshpug

use the breather for the Fill if it has one, but take the level plug out and stop then it starts dribbling.

2.0 litres from dry, probably 1.9 for a drain and refill.

Steve205

This is underside of my gearbox   Is this just a plastic cap that pops off the drain plug? How do I access the breather? From above or underneath?Can't see it. Sorry for silly questions/prefer to ask than do harm.

Thanks again.  Stephen 

20210610_100238.jpg

Tom Fenton

No, no it is not. Suggest a Haynes manual would be a good purchase for you.

Steve205

Have a copy ordered. Thanks Tom. 

Stephen 

pug_ham
5 hours ago, Steve205 said:

How do I access the breather? From above or underneath?

Because your box is a Be1 (reverse next to first with lock out collar) you won't have the mentioned breather as this is where the reverse lockout cable goes into the box on the Be1.

That plastic bung is just a blank on your casing, on later be3 boxes, that's the lower clutch fork pivot bush.

g

Steve205

Thanks Pug ham. That's the info I needed. Haynes manual was confusing me as it says the Be1 box has 2 drain points. Know the other 1 is the large screw. The plastic cap isn't mentioned.  Thanks for the help. Appreciate it. 

Stephen 

welshpug

drain plug is on the diff, early be1 level plug is on the front, later is on the end casing, in the case of a lift up reverse cable car i unscrew that to fill up.