• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Steve205

Difficult to get into gear when hot.

Steve205

Good morning all. I've recently sanded snd Schutz sprayed underside of my '89 1.6 gti. I also changed the clutch cable.  Few other bits done too. I still find I have a problem changing gear when engine is hot. If fan comes on in idling traffic it makes changing gear a nightmare.  3 points turn sound like I'm mashing my gearbox to hell. Clutch cable has been adjusted a few times to compensate.  Pedal now about inch higher than brake pedal. Gear changes slick and sharp when cool or driving on open road. I fitted an L-bracket last year from Retrolion to tighten gear changes a little, as they were sloppy when I first got car.  Please help...... Where is problem likely to be, from your experiences?  Still finding my way with my car,  as only have her a year or so. 

Please help me solve this problem. 

Thanks again. Stephen 

Thijs_Rallye

The plastic part of the clutch cable which clicks into the gearbox slot tends to shear one of its ears off sometimes. Might be worth checking. That way it appears is if the clutch is set correctly but when pressing the clutch pedal the cable "twists" itself a bit in the holder which leads to a not fully disengaging clutch.

Have someone operate the clutch pedal and have a look under the bonnet. Also check for play in general in the clutch mechanism.

welshpug

89 could have a BE1 or a Be3 box, differing clutch mechanism on he gearbox end.

I would start with checking clutch adjustment, should be close to the height of the brake pedal, and change the gear oil for Total 75w80

Steve205

It's a Be1 gearbox.  Reverse on left side, above 1st. Had car out earlier.  Fine while engine cooled. Got stuck in small jam and gears became more difficult to engage. It's very strange. 

Stephen 

Biggles

What oil is in the 'box ?

Steve205

I don't know which oil in box. When I changed lower engine mount recently some oil came out, so I know there's oil in gear box. 

Will do as Welshpug suggests.  Drain oil and replace with 75W80. It's only difficult to find gear when engine fan has to come on due to engine temp. Fairly sure I got a whiff of hot gearbox oil when stuck in traffic yesterday. Could be a cheap oil that gets burned at high temp?

Any other advice is welcome.  Stephen 

DamirGTI

If it's heat related specifically , disassemble and put some high temp. grease on the L bracket bushes and don't tight the bolt which fastens the L bracket onto the subframe to hard/stiff , leave it slightly loosen ... radiant exhaust heat tends to make the L bracket harder to move/pivot .

There should be an alu. heat shield plug on top of the L bracket bolt as an heat protection , or combine heat shield which protects the steering rack boot and L bracket bolt which bolts onto the subframe ... a lot of 205's have those missing .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

davemar

How old it the clutch itself? I recently changed my clutch as it was getting noisy, and it was also making it harder to change gear when hot. The clutch and release bearing were both very well worn out.

Another thought are the bushes on the L-shaped lever pivot that screws into the gearbox housing. If they are worn out and might be getting soft when hot.

Steve205

History of the car is parchy at best.No clue as to age of clutch. Know clutch cable is new, as fitted a month ago. I went for approx 100 mile open road trip yesterday. Was a dream to drive, even if she has a few 32 year old rattles....Stopped at entrance gates on way home for a few minutes,  engine fan engaged as idle temp increased, was a little more difficult to engage gears to  put in garage.  It's fascinating and frustrating.  Will check clutch components when replacing gearbox oil.  

Stephen 

nlanks

Did you resolve this issue? I have EXACTLY the same problem with my BE1 - very difficult to engage 1st and reverse when hot, fine when driving or cool. Thanks 

Steve205

I put in the Peugeot recommended 75W gear oil and adjusted clutch pedal out slightly.  It is definitely better. I travelled 250 miles yesterday and gear changes fine while driving but reverse was a little notchy when I arrived at destination.  Massive improvement though. 

Stephen 

• Thanks 1

welshpug

reverse is always going to feel different to the rest, there isn't a Synchro on it and you're physically moving a 3rd Gear along a shaft rather than the synchro hub.

• Thanks 1

nlanks
5 hours ago, Steve205 said:

I put in the Peugeot recommended 75W gear oil and adjusted clutch pedal out slightly.  It is definitely better. I travelled 250 miles yesterday and gear changes fine while driving but reverse was a little notchy when I arrived at destination.  Massive improvement though. 

Stephen 

Thanks - have you got a link to the Peugeot recommended oil please?

Steve205

I just got 75W oil from my local Peugeot dealer.  Comparable price to factors.  Just did return 250 miles and she didn't miss a beat. 

Stephen 

Steve205

Thanks for info welshpug. Did not know that. Also have to accept she is 32 years old. Went very well this weekend.  Still smiling. 

Stephen