• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

1.9er

Deteriorating braided Fuel Hose

1.9er

Not been on for a while,but still look in now and then.

Am trying to replace my braided fuel hose which runs to the fuel rail from the fuel line just under the servo,which is located next to the other fuel line which goes to the fuel filter.

Have managed to undo the clip, but can’t get the hose off.Should it not just come off or do I need to use a tool to prise it off? I don’t want to pull at it and accidentally break something else.

And advice appreciated.:D

dcc

Typically braided hose is not design for higher pressure, you'd do well to fit the proper fuel line.

If you struggle to remove the old line just take a Stanley and cut along its length. You can also unbolt it from the bulkhead.

I think Baker BM do the correct shape hoses for the standard 8v, if you're running non standard engine set up then look for decent injection hose which hasn't been sat on a shelf for years :)

Mac Crash

try gently twisting it to break the seal then pull off or like DC says just cut it off.

Didn't think there was much pressure at all in the fuel system to be honest.

the braid on high pressure hoses is to prevent them expanding.

for fuel hoses I'd imagine it's mostly for outer protection of the hose itself.

I work with hoses that deliver 4000psi through 1/2" BSP - that's high pressure ;-)

1.9er

Tried twisting but without any luck,so will cut with Stanley knife later today.Actually it is the hose that goes to the fuel pressure regulator, which has the vacuum hose coming out the other end and right angling into the inlet manifold.

Checked the bakerbm site and they have the 2 hoses,1 that go into the fuel filter and the other out of it, with the picture illustration not showing no hose from the fuel line that I’m trying to replace.

Tom Fenton

You just need 8mm fuel hose. It is push fit with clips at both ends for the piece you describe.

1.9er
1 minute ago, Tom Fenton said:

You just need 8mm fuel hose. It is push fit with clips at both ends for the piece you describe.

Cheers Tom....Will nip to Halfords today unless you have any good recommendations for 8mm fuel hoses.

welshpug

gates Barricade from a reputable retailer, its designed for modern fuels and is thinner wall than cheap fuel hoses  (which in my experience dont last)

• Like 1

1.9er

Good old “Stan” did the job of slicing the fuel hose and I was able to get it off.

Will take Welshpug’s advice and get some gates barricade fuel hose.

Moss-Europe stock it so will head down to their retail as about just over 30 mins drive from my house.

SRDT

Gates Barricade isn't metric so it can be difficult to fit.

I had a hard time with my plastic fuel pump cover (309 specific) but it wasn't really the case with the metal pipes (same as 205).

1.9er
22 hours ago, 1.9er said:

Good old “Stan” did the job of slicing the fuel hose and I was able to get it off.

Will take Welshpug’s advice and get some gates barricade fuel hose.

Moss-Europe stock it so will head down to their retail as about just over 30 mins drive from my house.

Checked with Moss-Europe and they only have the hose for the carbuerretor and states that it is not for fuel injection 

Any recommended stockists that may have Gibbs Barricade fuel injector 8mm hose?

petert

I buy it from here, in Australia, in various sizes. It’s now about five years old on my 205 and still looking like new.

789FDA1B-C253-4156-858D-8DFECFCA0A03.png

Tom Fenton

I buy Cohline hose from Merlin Motorsport. It is lasting OK, been on my car for about 4 years.

Anthony
3 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

I buy Cohline hose from Merlin Motorsport. It is lasting OK, been on my car for about 4 years.

Ditto - Cohline 2240 is what I've been using and from the same place, and it seems to last.

It's significantly more expensive that the generic apparent R6/R9 rated hoses sold on eBay and by various retailers, but frankly, it's money well spent to avoid a potential inferno in the worse case and the hassle of replacing the hose every year or two in the best case.  Beware of otherwise apparently reputable retailers selling the same generic rubbish as eBay but at a markup.

Tom Fenton

The only other thing I'd say is to reuse the Peugeot stuff if you at all can. Only replace it with anything else as a last resort. Despite being 30yr old its superior to pretty much anything else you can buy now.

1.9er
On 6/4/2021 at 12:45 PM, Tom Fenton said:

The only other thing I'd say is to reuse the Peugeot stuff if you at all can. Only replace it with anything else as a last resort. Despite being 30yr old its superior to pretty much anything else you can buy now.

Still not got hose yet.So May check with Peugeot to see if I can get from them.

1.9er
On 6/4/2021 at 11:23 AM, Tom Fenton said:

I buy Cohline hose from Merlin Motorsport. It is lasting OK, been on my car for about 4 years.Did you buy the normal or high spec choline rubber hose?

Also checking no specific fuel injection hose or do these cover both carburettor  and fuel injection applications?

welshpug

carb hose is low pressure.

1.9er
On 6/4/2021 at 12:10 PM, Anthony said:

Ditto - Cohline 2240 is what I've been using and from the same place, and it seems to last.

It's significantly more expensive that the generic apparent R6/R9 rated hoses sold on eBay and by various retailers, but frankly, it's money well spent to avoid a potential inferno in the worse case and the hassle of replacing the hose every year or two in the best case.  Beware of otherwise apparently reputable retailers selling the same generic rubbish as eBay but at a markup.

I’m assuming this is the one you are referring to Anthony? https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/high-spec-rubber-fuel-hose-by-cohline-per-metre-2240-0600

Anthony
On 6/7/2021 at 8:44 PM, 1.9er said:

I’m assuming this is the one you are referring to Anthony? https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/high-spec-rubber-fuel-hose-by-cohline-per-metre-2240-0600

Yes that's the stuff - gone up a fair bit in price since I first used it mind you (something like £9/m a few years ago).

It's rated significantly in excess of pressures found in the fuel injection system, so fine for both the feed and return side hoses.

barneys66

Bumping this one up as, even though I'll stick to E5, it's something I'd like to get done.

Can anyone let me know how much is needed for a standard car?

Thanks