• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Ren89

exhaust system/downpipe to manifold connection

Ren89

Hi,

I have recently fitted a new exhaust system i got from online automotive but I'm having some trouble with connecting to the manifold. I can get it on but t doesn't want to sit flush over the gasket, i have been driving it like this and there seems to be some blowing noise coming from there possibly but I'm not sure. Has anyone else had any experience with this that can help?

cheers Craig

DSC_0205.JPG

DSC_0206.JPG

DamirGTI

Springs sag over time and as the mounting bolts are shanked with limited amount of thread on the ends , with the sagged springs in between you wont be able to fully seal up the flange .

Can add a few shims on the bolt top (above the spring) and ends (under the spring) to compensate for the sagged springs , so that you have some extra thread left on the bolts to tighten up the flange so that it seals up .. it'll work , but for the cost of the new mounting kit i'd replace the lot - springs , bolts/nuts/cups and mesh ring ... as the springs on your pic are pretty much gone ..

OE downpipe mounting kit is best , aftermarket kits depends .. some are good others not as much mainly with regards to the springs supplied (tend to be too long)

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Ren89

I bought an OE kit from spoox and ive got the longer bolts on there but i had to use the old springs as the ones in the kit were too long there wasn't enough thread to get the nut on, i'm not entirely sure on what you mean about the shims and how to do it?

cheers Craig

DSC_0207.JPG

DamirGTI

Sorry , "shims" i meant - washers ..

Just add a few to pick up the slack of the sagged springs , so that you have enough thread left to tighten up the flange to the sealing point .

Say one washer up against the manifold (originally there goes one temp. resistant washer between the manifold and spring on both sides left-right which are missing on yours) , then the spring , then one or two more washers , then the cup and nut on the end .. add washers as much as you need till you reach the point of having enough thread left to make it gas tight sealed flange .

Such as , for demonstration purpose :

IMG_9188.JPG

Edited by DamirGTI