• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Tatty205

Best tyres for standard 1.9gti

Tatty205

Hi would like anyone's advice on the best tyre choice for a standard 1.9 on speedlines driving your everyday roads? I have 8 rims so was planning a winter and summer set maybe?? As I say any advice would be helpful as I'd only ask the garage otherwise, thanks.

Thijs_Rallye

Michelin Pilot Sport 3.

barneys66

I've not tried many, but love the way my PS3s handle so it's a +1 from me.

If you decide to go with them have a search on here/ebay as there's a few people knocking out slightly worn ones for decent prices.

40562367865_b21f074d57_h.jpg

AlexRS2782

As per the post above - for road use i've recently moved onto a set of PS3's too.  I used to run Toyo Proxes which were always fine for what i used the car for but i've generally run Michelin's on my other cars.

Purchased through the eBay seller, who is also the poster on here, via the links below - they sell batches of near new and used (with various tread depths) PS3's previously used on Ginetta race cars.  Some have done installation laps, others at least 1 or 2 decent heat cycles during testing days.  Decent pricing based on different tread depths and delivered quickly.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/slicker-sales

Wallby

Does anyone have any experience of these PS3s's on track and how they hold up?

I have a set of these I use as road wheels, and a set of 888's for track. However I have an evening session coming up, and don't want the fuss of having to take an extra set of wheels and swap them over just for a few hours,  If the Michelin's hold up ok then I can just use those and avoid the noisy 888's for the 2 hour drive there!

The other option could be some AD08rs, they seem to be a middle ground to the 2 above.

Tom Fenton
21 minutes ago, Wallby said:

Does anyone have any experience of these PS3s's on track and how they hold up?

I have a set of these I use as road wheels, and a set of 888's for track. However I have an evening session coming up, and don't want the fuss of having to take an extra set of wheels and swap them over just for a few hours,  If the Michelin's hold up ok then I can just use those and avoid the noisy 888's for the 2 hour drive there!

The other option could be some AD08rs, they seem to be a middle ground to the 2 above.

Use the track tyres on the track. Either swap when you get there, or drive there on them.

petert

I thought the better question was:

"What's better for a standard 1.9L, 185/55R15, or 195/50R15?"

In PS3 of course. Buy a set of A052's for the track.

welshpug

ps3 not available in 185 55, nor was pe2, nothing much sporty in that  size for some time.

Thijs_Rallye
16 minutes ago, welshpug said:

ps3 not available in 185 55, nor was pe2, nothing much sporty in that  size for some time.

The PS2/PE2 is available via the Peugeot museum*, but costs a ridiculous amount of money imho, considering the PS3 costs about half of that in 195/50x15.

https://www.pieces-de-rechange-classic.com/205/185868-185-55r15-pilot-exalto-pe2-82v-michelin.html

edit: I just saw they are available via my "standard" supplier as well for even more :).

Edited by Thijs_Rallye

welshpug

are they new or old stock?  pe2 hasn't been around for a while.

petert
8 hours ago, welshpug said:

You guys miss out on all the good tyres. The price seems reasonable to me.

E9E7F4AE-0CB5-4B64-B88C-6202DB5C0AC7.jpeg

Thijs_Rallye
9 hours ago, welshpug said:

are they new or old stock?  pe2 hasn't been around for a while.

I've seen an "ad" from the Peugeot Museum on my FB timeline a few months ago stating they were arranging re-production with Michelin. Apparently they did manage to do so.

Steve205

Sorry to jump in on thread but was looking for similiar advice. My 1.6 gti is running standard 14' rims. Current tyres on it since purchased are 185/55r14. Car is used solely for road. Or should she be running on 185/60r14? Spare wheel has this size on. Is there any difference whichever I use? Due to replace sometime soon. Was hoping for advice on difference,  if any. Thanks.

Stephen 

wicked
19 hours ago, Thijs_Rallye said:

The PS2/PE2 is available via the Peugeot museum*, but costs a ridiculous amount of money imho, considering the PS3 costs about half of that in 195/50x15.

https://www.pieces-de-rechange-classic.com/205/185868-185-55r15-pilot-exalto-pe2-82v-michelin.html

edit: I just saw they are available via my "standard" supplier as well for even more :).

If the quest for 'OEM spec' makes one to spend double money on 185/55/r15 PE2's over 195/50/R15, he's probably keeping the 205 as garage queen... 

I have A052's (16") on my trackday car and like them so much that I did fit them recently also on my road going GTI (16")  as well. It will only get out in summer.

For semi's they are quiet and don't need much heat to perform.  And you won't die if you're surprised by rain.. 

The CTI will get PS3's but that is merely because of cost and less need of track performance.  

Thijs_Rallye
2 hours ago, wicked said:

And you won't die if you're surprised by rain.. 

lol. By the looks of it you've used the R888's on the street :P ? How much heat do the A052's need or are they good to go from cold? (to a lesser extent to the PS3 ofcourse) I am considering giving these a go on mine.

Edited by Thijs_Rallye

wicked

Have been surprised by heavy rain on track with A052's and still alive.. ;-)  No aqua plaining at all.. 

I never had R888 on my own car, but on a roadtrip on public road we got some heavy rain with r888's equiped 205 and that felt less good, although it is not an apple to apple comparison. 

The A052 warm up very quick; they grip almost from cold and you're good to go within some laps. They only surprised me once, but that was with 4 degrees outside temp and did not manage to get enough heat in the rears on the cold track after 4? laps.

• Thanks 1