• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

MarkVDE

Phase 1 GT binnacle in a Phase 2 dash?

MarkVDE

Hi guys, 
This is my first topic on this forum, 
and I'd like to hear you opinions on my ongoing project.

I've scored a Phase 1 GT/XS instrument cluster with the all-impoertant rev counter!
trouble is, now I have to install it into my '94 Forever (1.1 TU).
That binnacle is, of course, a phase 2 one, and I don't know whether I can simply yank my old gauge cluster out, replace this PH.1 speedometer & odometer with the original phase 2 unit, and plaug everything back in. 
Is ti that simple, or am I better off by only using the PH.1 tachometer? 
uJcCDG8.jpg
The 'new' unit
aTSQ78H.jpg
The back- will this bolt into my newer dashboard?
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
This is my current cluster, I think

The thing I'm most worried about is the fuel gauge:
SOVaHvx.jpeg
This ph.1 fuel gauge is a bit different from my current one: The lights for the catalytic converter and low feul level warning are switched. The light in the bottom left is used for the brake wear indicator in the ph.2 binnacle.

s-l300.jpg

So, to make a long story short, can my ph.1 binnacle fit into my 1994 car?
Or am I better off ftrying to make only the tach work in my phase 2 cluster.

I'd love to hear some advice and tips!

Edited by MarkVDE

Gohn

ah, the Forever

along with Junior, Trio, Style, Green, Look, Zest, and best of all - the 205 Myth- one of the many good names that graced these tiny gelopies

dunno if it was some kind of a Peugeot marketers in-joke though, considering the quality of the dash plastic they fitted..

anyway, over here, we didn't get the split instrument cluster that you are showing with the warning lights separate along the top bar

they look a bit battlestar galactica

instead we only received the GTi version which has the warning lights vertical down the centre

your pics are good but I think may be misleading

I think your replacement unit is the same basic layout and shape as your original (even though its not possible to see the top bar of warning lights on the replacement from the angle of the pic)

if that is true, I think it should be a fairly straightforward swap over

your screw points, tabs and speedo cable connection all look to be identical, and the plastic dash visor should then also be same fit

its a little finicky but not too difficult to remove the visor and unplug the instrument cluster

just be careful and patient because the plastics are rubbish and crumbly after so many years and will break easily

then you can plug in the replacement and see if the tacho and fuel guages work

you should be able to get the replacement fuel guage working straight off, but if there is some problem with it, you could as you suggest take the original fuel guage out of the original cluster and slot it into the replacement cluster

as for the tacho, if that model came standard without the tacho, I hope you've also bought a tacho sensor and installed in onto your flywheel

there should be a plug on your engine bay wireloom somewhere nearby to connect to hopefully

lots of the more basic models had the same wireloom with unused plugs etc

good luck mark

visors.jpg

MarkVDE

Thanks, mate! 
I've gotten the old cluster out. So far, nothing has broken, hopefully it'll stay that way ;)

In the mock-ups, everything seems to fit, like you said, and most of the warning lights are working (only the ones for the catalytic converter and dipped beam aren't)
I've kept the original speedo with the correct mileage, so that shouldn't be a problem.

These relatively base models do have a pulse wire- the tach signal- running from the ignition module, lickily!
Hopefully, said wire connects to my fuse box, that'd make my life much easier.
the wiring. I think I'll need to pull my tach wire to that empty spot in th white connector

zF9NnVC.jpg
I'll need to attach the tach signal to that empty spot, I think
Of cousre, I'll keep you guys informed!

MarkVDE

7ALYF8v.jpeg
The current state of affairs: The wire is in the right spot (I think), and I'll have to tap into the ignition module for a signal

ieMm8ss.jpg

Gohn

looking good so far

looks like you extracted your original PH 2 Speedo/Odometre guage out and put it into the the replacement PH 1 cluster, then into the dash

I didn't realise you'd need to do any wire splicing etc. thought it'd just be plugging in existing wires

nice improvement

MarkVDE
3 hours ago, Gohn said:

looking good so far

looks like you extracted your original PH 2 Speedo/Odometre guage out and put it into the the replacement PH 1 cluster, then into the dash

I didn't realise you'd need to do any wire splicing etc. thought it'd just be plugging in existing wires

nice improvement

Merci! The wiring is a hotly debatred topic! Some sources say it's necesssary for Générations (and probably my Foréver too) to drwa from the engine bay, while others say I can get a signal from the fuse box.
Some years and editions have other wiring et cetera, and no 205 model year seems to be
 exactly the same!
The fun of cars built for 15-odd years, shall we say...

MarkVDE

Alles bekabeld, maar nog geen succes - YouTube

(sorry, it's in Dutch, it was meant for my Dutch forum readers)
My progress so far: Sadly, we're not out of the woods yet...
Perhaps there is a bad signal, otherwise I have no clue what to do.
The loom isn't meant to power a tach, but that shouldn't matter (I think)