• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Gavin Waddell

Cooling temp gauge

Gavin Waddell

Hey Phil

when I turn the headlights on the light on the dash got sides and high beam and full beam comes on. So that’s ok If that’s what your asking

Next I’m going to buy some new bulbs that way I have some in case the other ones our faulty. I’m also going to just check continuity from the sensor plug to under the dash and so on to see if that’s ok for peace of mind.

then Ill whip out the instrument panel out and check the bulb hopefully it’s just a dud.

thanks for all your help

gavin 

Gavin Waddell

Is this the head light warning light ?

30A9204B-2C69-4BD9-ABCF-D0146DB5B5AB.jpeg

PhilNW

Bottom one is main beam

next one up is dipped beam

next one up is side lights

Do they all work?

Noticed that the water temp gauge (bottom right) is showing a reading and the high temp warning light seems to be on...

Edited by PhilNW

Gavin Waddell

It’s not my car robbed an image from google 

PhilNW

OK  - thought it was a bit strange

Gavin Waddell

Ok so I don’t have the side the side lights on the dash but dipped and full? 

Checked continuity to the white plug on back of instrument cluster and have continuity from sender to dash but no light on the gauge.

Changed the bulb and still nothing.

took it for a run and it still heats up in like 2 miles and stays on second to last mark and when I switch the lights on it jumps to the last notch. As does the oil pressure ?

PhilNW
19 minutes ago, Gavin Waddell said:

Checked continuity to the white plug on back of instrument cluster and have continuity from sender to dash but no light on the gauge.

Changed the bulb and still nothing.

Have you got any voltage to the warning bulb with the ignition on?? 

Do you have any voltage to the side light warning light when lights are  switched on?

Trying to establish if it is a voltage supply problem or an earthing problem

DamirGTI

Disconnect the light stalk connectors , one by one as there's two of them , then try/see what happens with the temp. gauge with one another or both connectors unplugged from the stalk .

Also , wire terminals inside the connectors which connects onto/around the instrument cluster tend to loosen off over time .. which tend to make similar weird problems with the gauges .

Cleaning with contact spray and especially upping the tension back on each individual wire terminal within connectors so that it grips tightly creating good connection on the cluster circuit strip/foil helps . (disconnect battery and use small thin pocket screwdriver or sewing needle to "tense up the terminals") .

D

Gavin Waddell

When I probe pin 4 on white plug which is temp Coolant light I get 1 volt when I check power on pin 5 yellow plug I get 12 v so the temp gauge is getting 1v ?

Gavin Waddell

Now I’ve lost the low fuel light and oil temp, still got oil pressure 

Gavin Waddell

Un plugged the lights and no difference. 

PhilNW
33 minutes ago, Gavin Waddell said:

Now I’ve lost the low fuel light and oil temp, still got oil pressure 

Just checked Haynes wiring diagrams, on the XU engine there are 2 feeds and 2 earths to the instrument panel, the instruments get their power from these feeds and earth out at the sensors.

Think you need to check out the instrument panel in detail

Again according to Haynes, the lighting circuits only provide power to the warning lamps so that may indicate issues with the earthing to the panel or a bad track  

Gavin Waddell

Little up date 

I have power to the instrument panel via the green and yellow plugs so that’s ok.

i then used a probe connected to ground and all the gauges go to max when I ground them with the probe. 

the fuel light only works when I ground it with the probe = faulty ground in track or some where along the line.

then checked the track for the oil and water temp lights with a voltmeter and there was no voltage.I cross checked with the oil pressure /fuel light and they had 12v.

so oil/ water temp track no voltage.

i also probed  them to ground and didn’t work not like the fuel gauge. So im guessing the 

Gavin Waddell

I also checked pin 4 on the white connector for the dash and it was registering 1 volt which confirms I think that the water temp/ oil temp are not getting a positive feed

PhilNW

sounds like you are heading in the right direction,

what about the side and headlamp warning lights, direction indicators etc

Gavin Waddell

The dipped and high beam lights work just not the side light to many bulbs in the that part of the dash,that have no logical order in their placement. I looked through hanyes and saw the side lights are also connected to the fog light switch, and that doesn’t seem to illuminate so might be connected.

Gavin Waddell

Not an update.

i have another question, when the car was running I put my had down near the dizzy and got a shock from the HT leads im guessing one is not insulated any more and arcing. I’m guessing this could cause electrical interference with the senders next to them?

would it be wise to change them to rule out potential interference from them in the electrical circuit?

309SRiguy

As a temporary fix maybe some electrical tape will stop the spark arcing. It could eliminate or confirm your interference issue. Can you see the spark jump when your arm is not near the distributor? Is the engine running smoothly or is it a bit erratic?

It sounds like new HT leads would be a good thing for general reliability and performance.

PhilNW

Sounds like the insulation is breaking down and taking the path of least resistance to ground (i.e. your arm/body) rather than through the spark plug gap.

The spark at the plug produces the most radio interference but should not cause problems with the sensors, if anything it would effect the ECU but does not by design. 

Edited by PhilNW

Gavin Waddell

So update time.

went to have a look again at the car today and I will raise my hand and say that I am a dumb ass! Whilst looking at the back of the instrument cluster i looked at the position of the low fuel and oil pressure light bulbs as the guages are in the same position as the low oil and temp gauges,( just on the opposite side) and looked at where the low oil and high water temp light bulbs and realised there wasn’t any. So switched a few spare bulbs over and hey presto,  ignition on and have high water temp light. With the car running it turns off so all normal. 

I also checked the low oil light by grounding it at the dash plug and that works.

i also investigated the low fuel light grounded the plug and that works fine. I also pulled out the sender from the tank and checked it by letting the float go all the way down and the light came on. 

But I still can’t get the side light warning light to work have power at the fuse board but not the connector on the instrument panel? Dipped and full beam both work and have power. Another thing is when i switch the lights on the hazard and heated rear window light are illuminated but not the fog, it only illuminates when I press to turn it on?

Steve205

Fog light switch only lights up when turned on. It's to make you aware thar it's on,in case you no longer need it. That's normal.

Steve 

Edited by Steve205

PhilNW
13 hours ago, Gavin Waddell said:

So update time.

went to have a look again at the car today and I will raise my hand and say that I am a dumb ass! Whilst looking at the back of the instrument cluster i looked at the position of the low fuel and oil pressure light bulbs as the guages are in the same position as the low oil and temp gauges,( just on the opposite side) and looked at where the low oil and high water temp light bulbs and realised there wasn’t any. So switched a few spare bulbs over and hey presto,  ignition on and have high water temp light. With the car running it turns off so all normal. 

I also checked the low oil light by grounding it at the dash plug and that works.

i also investigated the low fuel light grounded the plug and that works fine. I also pulled out the sender from the tank and checked it by letting the float go all the way down and the light came on. 

But I still can’t get the side light warning light to work have power at the fuse board but not the connector on the instrument panel? Dipped and full beam both work and have power. Another thing is when i switch the lights on the hazard and heated rear window light are illuminated but not the fog, it only illuminates when I press to turn it on?

Getting there !          the joys of 30 year old electrics...