• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

chrisbrewer

Xu9j fuel pump relay not cutting in

chrisbrewer

Please help

i have recently converted my 205 gti 1990 back from mi16 to standard, I managed to get a good engine/ ecu wiring loom online 

everything worked ok but the starter motor solenoid kept firing in intermittently when the engine was running, I changed the starter motor for a new one but then, whenever I turned the ignition switch top position 2 the starter was on permanently. I moved the yellow wire that was lumped in with the switched live to position 5 in the small multi plug, now the starter works ok but the fuel pump relay doesn’t cut in, I have attached a picture of the wiring as it is.

C4F0934B-7F3C-45CD-8F4C-BA0B3184E5EA.jpeg

309SRiguy

Does your 8v loom have a tachymetric relay in the system?  

There are interactions between fuel pump, injectors, and engine cranking speed related to that relay. Later models use a two relay system but the intention of switching on/off fuel supply as a safety factor is still achieved. 

Damir's article is well worth reading. It identifies terminals. With those and a circuit diagram (or two) you might be able follow the wiring more easily.