• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ruben

Omex 600 Tacho

Ruben

Hello again! Today was the day of finding out how the connections of the ecu work in the tacho , after some digging i found how and where the DASH cables connect , but the question that remains is , is the original tacho from the 205 suitable for this application? I have seen somewhere here that it is possible to modify the tacho by changing the positions of the resistors or by a easier method using diodes. It got me quite a bit confused , can anyone tell me the main differences of these two methods and how can they be done! i have allready made some progress in the wiring and this shall be the one that remains to have the eletrical part done. ECU is a Omex600 aplicattion on a 205 1.6 GTI

Best Regards!

Ruben Figueira

Edited by Ruben

petert

The easiest method is to remove/bypass the filter circuit in the tacho, if you have soldering iron skills. Then the tacho will accept a 12V square wave output from the Omex600 (12C blue/yellow).

Edited by petert
  • Thanks 1

Porter87

I did the Rev counter mod and it works a treat. Just check the fuse if it doesn’t work.... I spent a good few hours head scratching before I realised my fuse had blown

• Thanks 1

Ruben
9 hours ago, petert said:

The easiest method is to remove/bypass the filter circuit in the tacho, if you have soldering iron skills. Then the tacho will accept a 12V square wave output from the Omex600 (12C blue/yellow).

This is what you mean?

Screenshot_20210421-171128_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Ruben

Ruben
2 hours ago, Porter87 said:

I did the Rev counter mod and it works a treat. Just check the fuse if it doesn’t work.... I spent a good few hours head scratching before I realised my fuse had blown

How did you do it? Could you give me a explanation?

petert

So that's my original picture (as you can see from the background), but I didn't do those mods. All I did was bridge the two pads with the line in red. Mine is probably a "dirtier" solution. It's never failed however, and given the output from the ECU is "clean", I can't see an issue with it. Maybe someone with more electronics knowledge can explain a reason? My solution is easily reversible.

205 tacho mod.jpg

Edited by petert

Ruben
14 minutes ago, petert said:

So that's my original picture (as you can see from the background), but I didn't do those mods. All I did was bridge the two pads with the line in red. Mine is probably a "dirtier" solution. It's never failed however, and given the output from the ECU is "clean", I can't see an issue with it. Maybe someone with more electronics knowledge can explain a reason? My solution is easily reversible.

205 tacho mod.jpg

I ended up doing the solution from thw image i showed you , from what i hear from here , should work fine! The capacitor comes out as such the brown 15K resistor. And then in the place of the brown 15k resistor i welded the white one. Now its all about giving it a test! Capacitor and 15k resistor came out , i have them stored in my toolbox just in case.

BamBamGTI

I have an Omex 500 and the same problem. Will this mod work for my ECU?

Richie-Van-GTi
On 4/22/2021 at 10:02 AM, Porter87 said:

Which fuse? 

Porter87

The reverse light and rev counter use the same fuse, it was fuse 1 on mine. I'd accidentally bridged the reverse light wires when working on the gearbox, which blew the fuse, it uses the same one for the rev counter. I spent hours tracing wires (112 for the rev counter) installing an Omex adapter all to find that I had blown the fuse.... changed the fuse and it was all sorted. 

Edited by Porter87

Richie-Van-GTi

Thanks, i just checked with a multimeter and i have 12v on pin 1, good earth through pin 2, continuity back to the tacho driver on pin 3, cannot find what pin 4 goes to (wire 112b), i assume that went to the old ecu or tachy relay. Haynes doesnt show it. Still cannot get mine to work. 

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi