• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
LimouxGTI

Strange distributor issues

LimouxGTI

Hi Folks,

Need a little advice.

I have a 1990 1.6 GTI all factory original with approx 50k miles which I bought approx 6 months ago.

Since buying it I have completed all the servicing items and also dropped it into the local Peugeot garage (here in France where I live) for the timing belt kit (I chickened out of doing this myself).

The car generally seems to be running well, however, it seems to run very rich (i can smell exhaust gases while driving or sitting with windows/sunroof open), it is also difficult to start, particularly when warm. Further, I get the odd backfire on over-run when driving somewhat enthusiastically.

I decided to take a look at the dizzy cap and was surprised to find that 2 of the 4 contacts where almost totally worn away, as if the arm had been hitting them.  I ordered a new cap, arm and leads but upon doing a little Googling it seems that there could be a damaged distributor causing this - potentially a bent shaft.  

The question is has anyone else experienced a bent distributor shaft and, if so, is it a case I need to for a complete new distributor unit?  Or can you suggest any other causes for this type of damage and rough running?

cheers

Rich

Ruben
4 hours ago, LimouxGTI said:

Hi Folks,

Need a little advice.

I have a 1990 1.6 GTI all factory original with approx 50k miles which I bought approx 6 months ago.

Since buying it I have completed all the servicing items and also dropped it into the local Peugeot garage (here in France where I live) for the timing belt kit (I chickened out of doing this myself).

The car generally seems to be running well, however, it seems to run very rich (i can smell exhaust gases while driving or sitting with windows/sunroof open), it is also difficult to start, particularly when warm. Further, I get the odd backfire on over-run when driving somewhat enthusiastically.

I decided to take a look at the dizzy cap and was surprised to find that 2 of the 4 contacts where almost totally worn away, as if the arm had been hitting them.  I ordered a new cap, arm and leads but upon doing a little Googling it seems that there could be a damaged distributor causing this - potentially a bent shaft.  

The question is has anyone else experienced a bent distributor shaft and, if so, is it a case I need to for a complete new distributor unit?  Or can you suggest any other causes for this type of damage and rough running?

cheers

Rich

I had a problem with my distributor also! Made a full repair in H&H Ignition Solutions. All brand new parts and the distributor was like new!!

LimouxGTI

Thanks. Was your problem the same as I am experiencing?  Cheers

Ruben
On 4/16/2021 at 7:32 AM, LimouxGTI said:

Thanks. Was your problem the same as I am experiencing?  Cheers

Yes , the car just would not rev properly and when i took a look on the distributor it was leaking oil from the inside!