• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ruben

Flywheel TDC match

Ruben

Hi Folks! About the flywheel TDC mark. Is it needed to find the TDC in order to fit the flywheel correctly , in order to make the toothless spot on the flywheel, wich i think it might be the TDC indication for the sensor, match the Crankshaft Sensor position? Or its just about to fit the flywheel in place? I am using a 60-2 flywheel in a Omex ECU aplication

Best Regards! 

Ruben Figueira

Ruben

My Engine is the 1.6 XU5JA

Edited by Ruben

Ruben

Does that aplies to the 1.6 8v engine?

Edited by Ruben

welshpug

any xu engine.

flywheel will only go on one place though.

Ruben

Thanks for the advice! Do you recomend using a dial gauge in order to get an ever more precise measuring?

Ruben
2 hours ago, welshpug said:

any xu engine.

flywheel will only go on one place though.

Do you recomend using a dial gauge to get an even more precise measuring?

Pierre_b
2 hours ago, Ruben said:

If I get the idea right, you don't need any tool, just counting the tooth. I am planning to fit a motronic fly wheel to a XU5J too, with a BE3 box, and run the ingnition with megasquirt (for now, only fuel is run but megasquirt), so thank you for the tip !!

Pierre

DamirGTI

There's an dowel on the end of the crank , which corresponds to the hole on the flywheel making it you cannot fit the flywheel "off center" so to speak as the dowel makes it indexed on the crank .. thus you can't fit the flywheel any other way/position and making it wrong , unless you remove/pull out the crank dowel out .

All the XU cranks/flywheels (possibly EW's flywheels are the same too not sure) are indexed the same way/position wise meaning , no need to worry about "misalignment" .. just bolt on plug&play .

Crank sensor will read it from the gearbox bell housing , for which there's also factory made indexed hole for the crank sensor .. just must be the bell housing/gearbox with the crank sensor hole , early ones didn't have them .

D

• Thanks 1

petert
8 hours ago, Ruben said:

You will be +/- 0.5 degree using the method I suggested, thanks to the large diameter of the flywheel.

• Thanks 1

Thijs_Rallye
19 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

(possibly EW's flywheels are the same too not sure)

The EW will fit but has a different missing tooth location, at least that is what I read here somewhere on the forum (the embrace the ew topic likely).

welshpug

I think the missing tooth is in the same place on the flywheel relative to tdc and dowel hole, but the sensor is further back.

Ruben
On 4/14/2021 at 7:42 PM, DamirGTI said:

There's an dowel on the end of the crank , which corresponds to the hole on the flywheel making it you cannot fit the flywheel "off center" so to speak as the dowel makes it indexed on the crank .. thus you can't fit the flywheel any other way/position and making it wrong , unless you remove/pull out the crank dowel out .

All the XU cranks/flywheels (possibly EW's flywheels are the same too not sure) are indexed the same way/position wise meaning , no need to worry about "misalignment" .. just bolt on plug&play .

Crank sensor will read it from the gearbox bell housing , for which there's also factory made indexed hole for the crank sensor .. just must be the bell housing/gearbox with the crank sensor hole , early ones didn't have them .

D

Sure Thing! I can confirm that , just fitted it today and i used the dial to find TDC and it matches perfectly with the tooth , but the bolts that bolt on the pressure plate are slightly tinner than the ones of my old flywheel , but no big deal just solved it easily! I used the dial just to get a more milimetric and precise measuring! Thanks for the advice! 

Best regards!

Ruben Figueira

Ruben
22 hours ago, petert said:

You will be +/- 0.5 degree using the method I suggested, thanks to the large diameter of the flywheel.

Just fitted it today and i used the dial to find TDC and it matches perfectly with the tooth , but the bolts that bolt on the pressure plate are slightly tinner than the ones of my old flywheel , but no big deal just solved it easily! I used the dial just to get a more milimetric and precise measuring! Thanks for the advice! 

Best regards!

Ruben Figueira

Ruben

Thanks for the advice guys!