• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rorykeen

Oil leak

Rorykeen

Hi everyone, I finally got my 205 up and running ! I’m needing the carbs sorting as it doesn’t like to idle, but it runs and sounds great. The engine was bought as a new build and is a tu3 of some description. I took the car up and down the lane to make sure it goes and stops ok, it goes well and sounds amazing..... unfortunately I have an oil leak from the front right hand side of the head. I have looked online and there’s some people say re-torque the head after a while ? Do I just re-torque or is this not the way to go ? 

Thanks guys 

F5F7C2E5-7083-4326-8E91-1A51F741C3B3.jpeg

B75CB86A-97D1-4364-B12F-FE3036E6C4DC.jpeg

Rorykeen

Quick pic of the car !

432145E2-2F74-47EC-A74C-B7522EF7BC3D.jpeg

• Like 1

DamirGTI

Leaking from the valve cover gasket or the head gasket ? can't really see on the pics ..

On the valve cover , better quality gasket usually does the job , or an thin layer of sealant applied on the rubber gasket especially on corners/edges .

If it leaks across head to block base , head gasket , yes by all means re-torque the head bolts ... the sooner the better while the engine is still "fresh" after the rebuild .

But loosen all the head bolts first (i like to drain the coolant , completely undo and remove each head bolt and re-grease the bolt threads prior to re-torquing)  , then re-torque back to OE specs and can even add a little bit more on the end stage say + 35/45deg. on each bolt to be sure .

I've done that on engines before with slightly coolant or oil leaking HG and it works .. haven't tried on high mileage engines though , where the leak was more of a long term neglected issue and the HG was old likely unable to re seal again as it went trough much more heat cycles and the HG coatings degraded loosen the ability to surface bond/seal up .

With regards to the carbs , you'll need to play a bit with the jetting ... i have OE specs jet sizes for Rallye , and some that i have found working best .. but that'll depend on the specific engine may or may not suit yours .

Complete cleanup , rebuild and balancing the carbs first , then jetting on the end .

Nice and clean looking example B) , have fond memories of the Rallye was kinda short but sweet !

D

• Like 1

Rorykeen

Thanks Damir, it’s definitely the head. I’ve put a new rocker gasket and I can see it’s coming from that corner when I’ve cleaned it up. I don’t suppose you could tell me the torque settings on this ? Do you take them out and redo them one at a time or take them all out at once ?  It’s not the tu24 though, its a tu3, as for the carbs I think I’ll just have them sorted by someone who knows what they’re doing ! 

DamirGTI

Still unsure which one you referring to being problematic/leaky ! - the valve cover/rocker gasket or the head gasket ?

D

• Like 1

Rorykeen

It’s the head gasket D, I’ve found the torque settings etc it does say in the manual to re-tighten after first run 

cheers 

Rorykeen
On 4/12/2021 at 6:21 PM, Rorykeen said:

Hi everyone, I finally got my 205 up and running ! I’m needing the carbs sorting as it doesn’t like to idle, but it runs and sounds great. The engine was bought as a new build and is a tu3 of some description. I took the car up and down the lane to make sure it goes and stops ok, it goes well and sounds amazing..... unfortunately I have an oil leak from the front right hand side of the head. I have looked online and there’s some people say re-torque the head after a while ? Do I just re-torque or is this not the way to go ? 

Thanks guys 

F5F7C2E5-7083-4326-8E91-1A51F741C3B3.jpeg

B75CB86A-97D1-4364-B12F-FE3036E6C4DC.jpeg

D11A1A46-126C-4167-ABB1-0675A9426E3C.jpeg

Telf

IIRC retorque after the first run isnt usually needed. I didnt do mine. Its done 6k since I built it.

Interestingly mine seemed to leak like crazy when I first ran it. I fettled afew bits and it still leaked. 

18months  after building the leaks seemed to have stopped.  It does leak  little but not so as you would care. 

I cant account for this other than imperfect surfaces that have gummed up over time and stopped seeping.

• Like 1

Rorykeen
On 4/19/2021 at 7:56 PM, Telf said:

IIRC retorque after the first run isnt usually needed. I didnt do mine. Its done 6k since I built it.

Interestingly mine seemed to leak like crazy when I first ran it. I fettled afew bits and it still leaked. 

18months  after building the leaks seemed to have stopped.  It does leak  little but not so as you would care. 

I cant account for this other than imperfect surfaces that have gummed up over time and stopped seeping.

I’ve put a new gasket on now and a new set of bolts and it’s all good ! That old gasket was a mess and re- torquing made it worse !