• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

mowflow

1.6 refuses to start after first drive

mowflow

Following a major restoration I took my 1991 1.6 out its first drive at the end of last year. Within about 2 miles it just died on me and wouldn't start again. Few weeks later I got it started again after checking things over. The plugs were quite black so I figured it had been running rich so i tweaked the screw on the AFM and throttle until it idled where it should. It then went back in the garage while life carried on.

Wind the clock on several months and now the thing won't start at all. So far I have.

• put fresh fuel in 

• confirmed I have spark (I do)

• bridged the tachometric relay wires (no change, fuel pump was priming fine anyway)

• cleaned the distributor cap (new Bosch one) 

• checked and cleaned the connector from the distributor 

• cleaned the ignition amp connection 

• checked none of the wires had been pushed back in any of the plugs (all fine)

• checked the flap on the AFM.

Finally I pulled the fuel rail to check the injectors were firing. As soon as I turned the key with the injectors out the car started and ran for a few seconds.

I've put the rail back in and it's back to just turning over and not firing. Does it sound like it's flooding/over fueling? Not getting air, maybe the TPS?

All help and suggestions much appreciated.

PhilNW

Are the plugs wet or dry after you have tried to start it?

mowflow

They are wet

PhilNW

Dry the plugs off

then Quick and dirty test, unplug the AFM and try and start it.

mowflow

Coming back to this as I thought I had made some progress.

I was advised to replace the tachometric relay after it was noticed that my fuel pump was running on. I eventually got the car running after doing this but the same thing has happened again. It went from running perfectly to not starting.

It smells very rich and the plugs are all coal black.

Could it be flooding? What can cause it to run so rich that it turns the plugs black so quick?

PhilNW
1 hour ago, mowflow said:

I eventually got the car running after doing this

What did you do/change?

On 4/6/2021 at 9:14 PM, PhilNW said:

unplug the AFM and try and start it

Did you try this?

mowflow

I changed the tachometric relay for a new one. It didn't start immediately after I fitted the new one though.

I tried starting with the AFM unplugged but it didn't start. It's a newly reconditioned unit from ATP.

A few people have suggested it may be the coolant sensor. 

PhilNW
8 hours ago, mowflow said:

It didn't start immediately after I fitted the new one though

So exactly what did you do that made it start, repeated cranking? Drying the plugs off?

How long does it run for after it starts? 

Sumpguard

Had the same problem with my car would start cut out a week later would start  a couple of times cut out again .After changing coil distributor tachometer relay injectors  throttle body afm my son changed the lead from the coil to distributor and it started strait way and has been fine since the lead he took off was brand new .mine also had a spark and smelt of fuel .

Tom Fenton
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2021 at 12:27 AM, mowflow said:

I changed the tachometric relay for a new one. It didn't start immediately after I fitted the new one though.

I tried starting with the AFM unplugged but it didn't start. It's a newly reconditioned unit from ATP.

A few people have suggested it may be the coolant sensor. 

I would check the coolant temp sensor, the 2 pin one that feeds back to the ECU. You will be able to find what resistance readings it should give on line or perhaps in the Haynes manual.