• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Alan_M

Disc Rear Wheel Bearings

Alan_M

Anyone recently bought rear wheel bearings for 205 disc arms?

I'm having real trouble sourcing anything relatively decent quality for sensible money, and that's few and far between. I don't particularly want to use the cheapo s*ite makes. 

Which leads to me another option, fitting 306 bearings. A bit more plentiful, pair of SNRs can be had off Mister-Auto for £125 and I know I need the 306 discs. Whats the increase in track, 9mm per side?

SweetBadger

Currently running 2 of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361635462702

came in a box marked Borg and beck. Seemed high quality. 

bearings unbranded, but so far seem to be holding up well.

one of them developed some play but retorquing the hub nut sorted it. Have a TrackDay at Silverstone on Thursday- will report back if they have any premature wear after that.

Edited by SweetBadger

jord294

I've got genuine 205 hubs in stock if you'd be interested in buying a pair

welshpug

my mate Dan bought some firstLine boxed bearings recently to find SNR bearings inside

Alan_M

Found some spare 306 arms kicking about so plan on going that route for now. Saves me a few quid. 

Can the rear wheel bearings be reused once pulled off the stub axle does anybody know?

pug_ham
6 hours ago, Alan_M said:

Can the rear wheel bearings be reused once pulled off the stub axle does anybody know?

I've reused bearings pulled off a stub axle before, just keep the bearing races together & a fresh coat of grease when you rebuild it & you should be fine imo.

g

Ozymandis
12 minutes ago, pug_ham said:

I've reused bearings pulled off a stub axle before, just keep the bearing races together & a fresh coat of grease when you rebuild it & you should be fine imo.

g

+1 

Me too quite a few over the decades.

• Like 1

welshpug

if you're going to swap all the assembly across to a 205 arm them drift the stub out with the hub in place, that will save damaging the seal from pulling the inner race out

• Like 2

Alan_M
On 3/30/2021 at 7:17 PM, welshpug said:

if you're going to swap all the assembly across to a 205 arm them drift the stub out with the hub in place, that will save damaging the seal from pulling the inner race out

Thanks Mei. I was wondering about damage to the seal on the back. 

Trying to decide whether to use the 306 arms or the 205 ones though. Got some ZX ones somewhere, which I cannot find!

SweetBadger

Well the First Line / Borg and Beck boxed both have slight play after the Silverstone track day...

not that I class over £50 as cheap, but buy cheap/unbranded bearings, buy twice.

Edited by SweetBadger

welshpug

I'd be inclined to check and retorque them and see how they are.

SweetBadger
On 4/2/2021 at 9:42 PM, welshpug said:

I'd be inclined to check and retorque them and see how they are.

I’ll take a look, but have already done that on one side so don’t hold out too much hope. 

does anyone know the width of a 205 hub? 

seems to be listed as 59mm

been doing some digging and it looks to me that the type of 306 hub in the link below might fit if you just knock off the ABS ring and omit the spacer pictured:

https://m.buycarparts.co.uk/snr/1929019

It’s also listed as 59mm

thoughts?

SweetBadger

Right to follow up on this, the first line bearings were indeed both shot. No amount of tightening the hub nut would get rid of the play. They are being returned! So AVOID Firstline -> Borg and Beck.

I found a post on here from a few years back where Allan Bridgecraft had machined a spacer to allow fitment of skf 306 bearings to 205s.

I contacted @allanallen from Bridgecraft to confirm, and ordered a pair of SNR 306 bearings - Part Number R166.30 (£42 each from autodoc)

They arrived at Bridgecraft this Monday and Allan machined a spacer of the correct size, knocked off the ABS rings, and had them to me by Thursday!

The 306 SNR bearings are wider, so you have to omit the hub nut washer to allow the hub nut to wind on far enough, but other than that they fit perfectly well.

Pics below:

24AFE4A9-ED91-44D9-B4E4-FD632733ACCC.thumb.jpeg.16e18e00c9d952bb894fadfd3065d974.jpeg53E4EE92-C4E8-4CC8-BAD9-BBD3B6F5B62B.thumb.jpeg.f1c9a0d74c8fe0e76cced090c1c063c9.jpeg

• Like 1