• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

kostas205

Brake Discs/Pads on 1.3 Rallye

kostas205

Hello to all,

I want to improve the braking system of my 205, the car has 1.6 gti / euro rallye hubs so as you already know not many choices with bigger brakes etc.

Ι have already upgraded from rubber brake lines to stainless steel and I am currently looking for racing brake pads.

After a lot of searching I concluded that ferodo ds2500 is the best solution for me.

I have read that ds2500 should combined with reinforced braking discs not just simple OEM replacement one's.

So the question is, what braking discs are used with ds2500 for track days, fast road etc to a 1.6 gti / euro rallye braking setup?

Thank you.

Edited by kostas205

SweetBadger

Never had any issue with standard discs (cheapest available on ebay at the time, think they were mintex) when we used to run std calipers on our race car. Things were getting hot enough to melt the dust covers on the calipers, but the std discs were fine.

That was with Ferodo DS3000 / CL RC6 pads, so I don't think you need to worry about upgraded discs to go with a set of DS2500 pads.

• Like 1

PhilNW

From recollection all the Group N rally versions of the 205 used standard discs with just uprated pads

Have you got a copy of the PTS Peugeot build guide? 

• Like 1

DamirGTI

If you're serious about this , i would first replace the calipers ... 1.6/Rallye Bendix front calipers are simply , crap ! .. i had a few sets and all of them went bust , fallen apart .

1.9 Girling calipers - so much better .. never had problems with them .

D

• Like 1

SweetBadger
1 hour ago, DamirGTI said:

If you're serious about this , i would first replace the calipers ... 1.6/Rallye Bendix front calipers are simply , crap ! .. i had a few sets and all of them went bust , fallen apart .

1.9 Girling calipers - so much better .. never had problems with them .

D

Agreed - should have said we were running 1.9 Calipers with standard discs.

Unfortunately they do weigh more than the 1.6 Calipers

kostas205

Υeap that's true 1.6 calipers are pretty light and I want to stick with them because of this. Rotating mass on the wheels in general, is at low weight levels because I am using C5 one's (4.8kg each).

I use my 205 as a daily, so it won't pushed everyday on the track...but when I push it I don't want to run out of brakes after 5 minutes.
It's not that the braking power dissapoints me on the contrary is very good. The thing I want to improve is the duration of this braking power.
If these 5 minutes become 10 I will be a happy person. And that's the reason I am lookig for a better pad.

1.9 calipers will fit to a 1.6 arm? If yes, what disc is used? 1.9 or 1.6?

Edited by kostas205

SweetBadger

1.9 calipers are a direct swap for 1.6 - keep the same disc. If your 1.6 calipers are in good order then stick with them and see how you get on.

If you are only going to use them for the odd trackday then I'd advise getting a dedicated set of pads and discs for use on track only. Something like the CL RC5+ would be a good bet for pads.

Then just swap discs / pads over before your trackday, then back again for the road.

That way you don't wear out an expensive track focused pad from daily driving.

You could just swap the pads over and use the same discs, but if you do that then you have to worry about bedding in the pads each time you swap them over. Given the low price of standard discs better to run a dedicated set for the track.

Edited by SweetBadger
  • Like 1