• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
avcentraltias

16v donor cars. Are XSI’s a viable option?

avcentraltias

Hi everyone. Last year I uncovered a well rotten phase 1 1.6 205 GTi rotting away in a yard not far from home. A cheeky bid of £50 to the yard owner and before I knew it, I was freeing off the brakes and loading it onto a trailer...... only a few months later and I find myself in a guys workshop who happens to have mint 205 rolling shell taking up useful work space... so a deal was done on that and it doesn’t take a genius to work out that I’ve now got a project on my hands :)

What I need now is a donor car. Mi16s and gti6 both seem to be the obvious swap but a complete mi16 405 is a rare beast, most older mi16 conversions all seem to be on the verge of death and GTi6s are commanding reasonably strong  money these days. Even Xsara VTS’ are making decent money if you’re lucky enough to find one.

I know the 306 XSi was similar to the GTi6 engine but lower powered. Is it wishful to think performance cams and narrower ports were the only difference? What are the differences? I don’t mind taking a head off a XSI and getting it reworked to up the power but is it worth the agro or would I be better to start with another engine. 

Hoping to build an exciting B road blaster.   No desire for a track weapon at the moment .... although I haven’t got a taste for these little cars, yet.......

petert

A friend of mine has an XU10J4R in his 205, along with aftermarket ECU and CDI ignition. It goes incredibly well.

It's also a very easy fit. No bodging exhaust or inlet manifolds.

Edited by petert

dcc

The 206 GTi 140 engine is a good middle ground :)

avcentraltias

206 is an interesting suggestion.GTI6s seem to be collectible in their own right so I’m not sold on the idea of destroying one just for my car. 

Any idea how much power your mate is getting, petert? Does he have any ideas for future mods? 

calvinhorse

I had a 306 xsi with gti6 inlet and exhaust manifold just running the standard Ecu, it was impressive in the 306 so would be good in a 205

if your budget will stretch to aftermarket management I’d be looking at the 1.8 16v from the 306 xs but using the xsi head as the xs is strangled on the inlet ports, then you’d have a lightweight revy 16v 

im looking at doing the above on standard xsi management, no idea how well it will work but that’s half the fun 

avcentraltias

Sounds like I’ve got some bedtime reading to do...... the mechanical concoctions you guys are squeezing into these little cars is eyewatering, I’ve always liked 205s but I had no idea people were going to such lengths to build engines for them. I was hoping to just yank something more powerful out of heavier car and call it quits. 

lightweight and revvy sounds like a great target.... especially in car that weighs as much as a crisp packet.

welshpug

lightweight and revvy you want?   find a 1.6 gti!

• Like 1

Fallowsnz

Or an xs!

• Like 1